Share Birds

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
A cardinal.

_4064905_DxOdcLM2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
The current trend seems to be longer and longer lenses for bird photos. I decided to buck that trend and I am striving for stalking skills.
Taken at 12 mm, no crop. The fisheye is coming out next.

51101732734_04f480a4fb_o.jpg
EM127951-1 by Harvey Richards, on Flickr

AllanG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Allan
EM1.2 with PL100-400mm

P4080004.jpg

Real Name
Walter
A couple from a recent trip to Koko Crater Botanical Garden. Both introduced species. EM1.3 w/40-150 Pro+MC-14.

A white rumped shama (Copsychus malabaricus). 1/400, f4, 210 mm, ISO 640
51079575498_92a9c4b6a4_c.jpg

Red-crested cardinal (Paroaria coronata). 1/400, f4, 210 mm, ISO 500. This was a grab shot as this bird alighted on the branch and stayed for just a few seconds before flying off. I only got this one shot.
51080365127_109a699b2f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
Seeing this i really wonder if they migrate or we have a similarity of birds.. in india we call it a common myna and these are resident bird for us.

Mital, they're ubiquitous. We also have them in Hawaii, introduced in 1865 to control army worms. I have no idea if they were successful in doing that, but they have surely been successful in taking over the place. We often found young ones fallen out of the nest and raised them as pets.

A couple from a recent trip to Koko Crater Botanical Garden. Both introduced species. EM1.3 w/40-150 Pro+MC-14.

A white rumped shama (Copsychus malabaricus). 1/400, f4, 210 mm, ISO 640
View attachment 882068

Red-crested cardinal (Paroaria coronata). 1/400, f4, 210 mm, ISO 500. This was a grab shot as this bird alighted on the branch and stayed for just a few seconds before flying off. I only got this one shot.
View attachment 882067
Beautiful birds. You've captured them very well.

We had two extended stays on Oahu and I admired the birds.
Bought a birds of Hawaii book at airport to while away the extra long hours home.
To my dismay I discovered most were introduced. If the window had opened I reckon the bird book would have been thrown out in disgust and disappointment 😋

atomicmak

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mital Patel
Darters .. 4k iso processed.. just out of curiosity walking back from lake i went to shoot saw few came in to roost post sunse almost hard to seee like sillhouette. just took few frame to see what can be done.. not bad it hold.. sometimes for a lifer this can be done ..
P4050975.jpg

Real Name
Walter
Beautiful birds. You've captured them very well.

We had two extended stays on Oahu and I admired the birds.
Bought a birds of Hawaii book at airport to while away the extra long hours home.
To my dismay I discovered most were introduced. If the window had opened I reckon the bird book would have been thrown out in disgust and disappointment 😋

Thanks. You're right. It is very disheartening to see how many are introduced. I have Jim Denny's A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Hawaii. Nice photos and good information, but most of the birds in there are introduced species. Even I'm amazed how many non-native species we have. The situation is the same with plants and other wildlife. In the urban and residential areas, almost everything is introduced. :-(

Nonetheless, if you get a chance to go hiking in some of the mountain trails around Oahu or in the Volcano National Park on the Big Island, you can and will see native plants and birds. It's worth searching for them. :)

If you can find it, Belonging on an Island - Birds, Extinction, and Evolution in Hawaii by Daniel Lewis is a fascinating read on native and introduced birdlife in Hawaii and how we got to where we are.

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ
Late season dark-eyed Junco.

p1002151_dxo-5.jpg

Thanks. You're right. It is very disheartening to see how many are introduced. I have Jim Denny's A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Hawaii. Nice photos and good information, but most of the birds in there are introduced species. Even I'm amazed how many non-native species we have. The situation is the same with plants and other wildlife. In the urban and residential areas, almost everything is introduced. :-(

Nonetheless, if you get a chance to go hiking in some of the mountain trails around Oahu or in the Volcano National Park on the Big Island, you can and will see native plants and birds. It's worth searching for them. :)

If you can find it, Belonging on an Island - Birds, Extinction, and Evolution in Hawaii by Daniel Lewis is a fascinating read on native and introduced birdlife in Hawaii and how we got to where we are.
Thanks for reply
My little book is A pocket guide to Hawaii's birds, by Pratt.
It mentions just what you have about the plants etc.

It's a memorable place never the less.
Koko Head worth the climb too. That's as energetic as I got

Real Name
Walter
Thanks for reply
My little book is A pocket guide to Hawaii's birds, by Pratt.
It mentions just what you have about the plants etc.

It's a memorable place never the less.
Koko Head worth the climb too. That's as energetic as I got

That's a good book too. The change of habitat also adversely affected native birds too.

Koko Head? Whoa, too much for me. I'd never make it. Congratulations. :)

The City is currently repairing the Koko Head trail, including removing hazards and replacing the platform at the top.

There are some places where you can see native plants, such as Koko Crater and Foster Botanical Gardens, and Lyon Arboretum. Next time you visit. :)

Real Name
Ian Shepherd
Darters .. 4k iso processed.. just out of curiosity walking back from lake i went to shoot saw few came in to roost post sunse almost hard to seee like sillhouette. just took few frame to see what can be done.. not bad it hold.. sometimes for a lifer this can be done ..
Well, in birding terms, there are 'record shots' and then there are 'record shots'! Beautiful image.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom