Share Birds

woollyback

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
300 plus 1.4 TC
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GRID

Mu-43 All-Pro
All images with the oly 300mm F4 and 1,4TC

chap

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Chap Lovejoy
This red shouldered hawk was keeping an eye on the bird feeders at a local nature preserve.

amp

Mu-43 Veteran

I recently purchased the tiny and portable Panasonic lumix dmc-zs70 from a forum member to have something to shoot with all the time. So far, I'm impressed. I haven't had much sun to really see it shine, but it seems to handle overcast weather pretty decently if I keep the iso low.

Last edited:

doxa750

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Narin
Adult bald eagles taken with EM1 III+300mmF4+MC14 (840mm EFL). I was testing HHHR and was fairly happy with the outcome.

This is in original size.
50672773916_e9338da20f_o.jpgEM131697_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

And in about 100% cropped.
50684854726_0621a65b30_o.jpgEM131697_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

This was taken with HHHR and 100% cropped.
50672025408_c0e4cb792b_o.jpgEM131706_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

Then one more post from this male as I stepped close right at the edge of the water (about 100% cropped).
50672859912_ffca2f1ba5_o.jpgEM131717_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

And his partner (about 85-90% cropped).
50672780961_aaf5847638_o.jpgEM131761_DxO by Narin, on Flickr

Cheers

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Out testing Version 2 today. Lock onto a CA Scrub Jay approaching Mach 1 speed.

doxa750

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Narin
Thanks!

Yep. That Jay was hauling butt. Surprised I even got an AF lock on it. I used the Olympus Dot Sight EE-1 Finder as it was just too fast for the viewfinder.

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-V329200BU000-Dot-Sight-EE-1/dp/B00STR9K1G
Got it. I have been tempted about the idea of using the Dot Sight. If it can improve the hit rate when using MC20 with 300mmF4 lens, I might give it a try. So far, I am learning and started to get a hang it for static or bird not in flight. I did give it a try on BIF and it is fairly challenging (much more than MC14+300mmF4 combo) though far away subject is not a problem as to be expected.

Cheers

Real Name
Angus
Got it. I have been tempted about the idea of using the Dot Sight. If it can improve the hit rate when using MC20 with 300mmF4 lens, I might give it a try. So far, I am learning and started to get a hang it for static or bird not in flight. I did give it a try on BIF and it is fairly challenging (much more than MC14+300mmF4 combo) though far away subject is not a problem as to be expected.

Cheers
I'm in the same boat, been tempted, but I don't know enough about them to confidently pull the trigger.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
For anyone interested in the Dot Sight, I found this guy's video gives a good explanation of it.

One thing I like about his is it is more open frame than the Olympus or Nikon plastic and hooded models. He demos that in the last minute of the video. He got his from Aliexpress (China), but there is a weatherproof metal version on Amazon although it costs more and you also need the "Frequently Bought Together" items which also has the sight and another hot-shoe rail in the link (Total $66.89 or about half the cost of the Olympus one.): https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Camera-Picatinny-Adapter-Finder/dp/B07JL11474

My gripe with the Olympus one it differs day-to-day in calibration by just opening it up. Don't know if it is the cheap plastic arms holding the folding screen or what, but it needs a lot of calibration attention. Closing it up and re-opening it and you may end up doing another calibration. It can move in the hot shoe too if not careful.

He shows some that have a dual spot which I like as those could be useful for a near and far sighting. I often rely on putting the spot on top of the bird if they are close with the Olympus one if I calibrated it for distance to start.

Also, a tripod-threaded hand grip also helps a lot for holding the 40-150mm and the 300mm f/4 lens mounted to the tripod mount bracket to pan fast. This: https://www.amazon.com/Andoer-Platf...ndle+grip&qid=1607269081&s=electronics&sr=1-8

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 All-Pro
Best picture from todays from-the-living-room-birding :)
That gray/black/white one was a new! Never seen that one before, it was a whole bunch of them.

Real Name
John ...
I'm in the same boat, been tempted, but I don't know enough about them to confidently pull the trigger.
Angus, a number of people whose opinions I respect greatly at DPR recommend the OEM dot sight as being the best thing since sliced bread.

I have no personal experience with one (never even seen one). I have a dot sight for my telescope, but have never got around to mounting it.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu

Cheers
When I started using my Panny Leica 50-200mm it took me a while to get used to the narrow field of view. For subjects further than 100 meters or the size of a medium bird of prey, it wasn't difficult. But for tiny and very fast subjects it was getting difficult to keep up in the viewfinder (even when using the tactics of short burst shooting). When I got the 1.4x TC and getting to 280mm things got a lot more difficult (and I am still learning and trying to get used to it) and the Olympus EE Dot Finder became quite a necessity. Took me a while to get used to it, how to calibrate it, how to use it effectively and I found that when I was using good technique and patience I could frame and track even some of the fastest birds in my area, which is the typical Swallows. The "fluffy little Ballerinas" fly so fast and turn so hard it was near impossible to get pictures of them mid-flight without the Dot Finder.
But the device is not without flaws, as mentioned earlier, the calibration is quite frustrating because it's easy to knock it out of position just by simple handling of the sight. I wish it had a locking dial (like on the dials of E-M1s) for the calibration adjustment because it's as easy as blowing on them to make them move (intentionally or not). But if you use a 9x9 or larger AF grouping some calibration error can be accepted as it would still fall within the grouping (if kept in the center of the viewfinder). I do wonder how the Dot Finder would feel and work with the Olympus 150-400mm Pro AND the E-M1X with Bird Detection and Tracking :)

I would say it's not a very expensive endeavor to try it to be honest (well compared to buying new lenses). I got mine for 200 £ brand new, you might find it cheaper on 2nd hand market (which would be a better idea than new) but I haven't checked the availability or price of it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom