Share Birds

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Real Name
Randy
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Birding with the 75mm f/1.8 is doable.

I've been wondering if the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 was sharper than the 300 f/4 Pro given all the online sites that say it is their sharpest.

Decided to go birding with it and see how the feather detail comes out. To get close enough, I decided to use the Olympus Ol Share app on the iPad and connect to the camera's Wi-Fi. That way I could be 25 feet away and get the camera behind a bush about 4 feet from their feeding stump. Does take a bit of anticipation for the delay on focusing and hitting the shutter to transmit to the camera from the iPad - maybe a second or two.

I also stuffed the big Godox AD600 Pro flash with a parabolic reflector behind the bush for a screen, also 4 feet to the side (A Godox trigger was on camera's shoe.).

I wanted the background a bit darker so I dropped the ISO to L100 instead of recommend ISO 200 as I wanted no ND filters to be used. I wanted the lens around f/7.1 to keep the background soft, but still some DOF. Given all that, I had to fiddle with the light meter and move into HSS mode for a 1/1250 shutter speed - and the Sekonic L-858 with the Godox trigger helped work that out. So the camera's speed became 1/1250 with a flash duration of 1/1491 at 1/4 flash power on the AD600. The sonic flash "Boom!" at that lower power isn't as disturbing to the birds as much as the full power "Boom!" that it can make.

Result is below of one that landed and kicked up the seed. Two catchlights: Smaller being the sun, and the larger the Godox flash with the Phottix long-throw parabolic reflector. No sharpening was applied so the 75mm is indeed sharp, and maybe more than the 300mm f/4 that takes a bit of sharpening at times. The 75mm doesn't need it.

B297649-2-FS.jpg

Last edited:

AllanG

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Allan

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
50663336826_b91b999865_b.jpgP1031350 by telecast, on Flickr

50663336396_493d44fb0b_b.jpgP1031352 by telecast, on Flickr

Went to the Great Lakes National Cemetery today to visit Dad's grave. I thought about taking the G9 and 100-400, then I thought: "Why on earth would I need that at a cemetery?" The GX9 won because it had the 12-60 attached. Also in the bag was the Tamron Adaptall II 60-300. These were made with the Tamron at full extension and wide open aperture. Light was low and the peaking sparkles were almost impossible to see. Turned out ok, but what I would have given for another 100mm and autofocus.

Last edited:

PeHa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Blue Tit, used the FT 150mm at f2.0, good in bad lighting when you can get close enough

A little Wren (300mm f4)

the following are of a family of 6 that have over time become used to my presence, with the parents bringing up 4 young ones that too are at ease with me being around.
Other tribes of same here and living a bit further away are as wild as they come.

Tasmanian Native Hen close and personal

This one seems to have taken to a one legged stance. I've seen it several times now. Previously on two legs.

Parent and one of the offspring

a typical pose of the young ones

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu

Flying Home, Magpie.

Real Name
Ian Shepherd
Dark-bellied Brent Geese Branta bernicla bernicla...

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
When Angels Fly
MY BIF settings:

View: original size

For me the BIF key was to use M settings, auto ISO, F stop Max or +1/2 stop, SS>2000, focus preference, smallish center focus point, high FPS

egret.jpg

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So the birds were too far away and the blue sky was boring. Sky replacement in PS helped make a boring morning a little more fun

Here is a Gadwall just to keep on theme:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu

Not happy with its selfies ... not at all.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ovidiu
W0LF0302-Edit.JPG

The Ringed Plover on the Beach, Minehead UK

Ripping a new one when no one was looking (supposedly)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom