Share Birds

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's another elusive tweety. I almost didn't recognize it because it wasn't ripping all the cherries off the tree in the front yard. It's a Cedar Waxwing and when it's not ripping all the cherries off the tree in the front yard it's sitting high atop a dead tree with no leaves enjoying the sunset,... apparently.

Real Name
Ian Shepherd
Reed Warblers Acrocephalus scirpaceus...

Superb Fairy Wrens
male - starting to get his full robe of deep blue and black

female

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
We had a new visitor to the garden today. Not the greatest photo, taken at very short notice with the wrong settings and through the kitchen window, and the only half decent one before she took off.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The evening's pooch walk tonight. I headed over to where I spotted the Cedar Waxwing last night and, lo and behold...there was another Cedar Waxwing! This time he or she was getting ready for a date...

Within a bird's whistle away a Young Robin took a break from eating berries to see what I was up to...

A little farther down the trail a Female Cardinal had no problem eating berries while I snapped her picture...

It's not often I can take my noisy Pomeranian for a walk and come back with images of birds that aren't 1/4 mile away! My pooch must be getting used to my photo walks.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Cedar Waxwing showing off it's yellow tipped tailfeathers.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Tonight's walk takes a sad turn. I noticed a few ducks on a log and something didn't seem quite right. As it turned out, one of the ducks has a fishing lure caught in it's beak, perhaps in one of his nostrils. I believe he can at least drink water. I am currently in contact with a duck rescue organization and we are trying to find a local resource that may be able to perform a rescue. I am hoping the duck stays on or near that log until morning (it is dark now). That is an entirely feasible scenario as most ducks on this lake are pretty territorial this time of year. Two other ducks of what appear to be a different species seem to be staying with this guy. Hopefully all will work out. I am waiting on a phone call and a plan.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Well, an update on the duck. I spent the morning looking for it and putting the word out to two kayak rentals on the lake to keep an eye out for it, but no luck so far. We have a plan to catch it and we have secured a place to rehab it, now we just need to find it again. The brush around the edge of this lake is quite thick in the area it was last seen and given it's color, it could be right under my nose and I may miss it.
What nobody seems to know is a definitive answer as to what type of duck this is. It's about half the size of a mallard with bigger feet. Dark Gray-ish on top and a white-ish belly. Narrow bill with what appear to be teeth along the edges. Best guess is some type of diving duck but still no firm ID.

Anybody here have a guess?...

Link to above post and images here...

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/share-birds.4838/post-1404241

Real Name
Ian Shepherd
Well, an update on the duck. I spent the morning looking for it and putting the word out to two kayak rentals on the lake to keep an eye out for it, but no luck so far. We have a plan to catch it and we have secured a place to rehab it, now we just need to find it again. The brush around the edge of this lake is quite thick in the area it was last seen and given it's color, it could be right under my nose and I may miss it.
What nobody seems to know is a definitive answer as to what type of duck this is. It's about half the size of a mallard with bigger feet. Dark Gray-ish on top and a white-ish belly. Narrow bill with what appear to be teeth along the edges. Best guess is some type of diving duck but still no firm ID.

Anybody here have a guess?...

Link to above post
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/share-birds.4838/post-1404241
It’s a Hooded Merganser. Hope the incident ends well.

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It’s a Hooded Merganser. Hope the incident ends well.
We have a lot of Mergansers in this area. I can't find any, or any images of Mergansers, Hooded or otherwise that look like this duck. I'm not saying they don't exist, I'm just saying I haven't been able to find any. Do you have a link that documents that? Besides two local bird rescues, The Audubon Society website and the Department of Natural Resource of Michigan website, I can not find that duck in any of their identification galleries.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom