1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Shaped Bokeh Advice (G3)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by 123stevevw, Jan 2, 2012.

1. 123stevevw

123stevevw New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2012
    Herefordshire. UK
    Recently bought a Panasonic Lumix G3. I want to try some shaped bokeh but can't suss out the right size of the shape cut out for the lens. Any help would be appreciated.

Ta

2. 123stevevw

123stevevw New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2012
    Herefordshire. UK
    Anyone?

Sorry to seem impatient but it's really bugging me now!

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Are you using the kit lens? I think using one of the faster lenses would be better (Panny 20mm, Oly 45mm, or fast legacy lenses).

I haven't tried one of these, but I think the size of the hole depends on the lens. Check this out, if you haven't.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    hi,

I have not tried this in MU-43, so I cannot help you with the exact size of the cutout, but wouldn't it be easy for you to try different sizes (and get immediate feedback on whether it worked or not)?

The key, I believe is to use the largest aperture available on your lens, so this will work best on a fast lens like a 20mm f1.7 or 25mm f1.4. What lens are you using to do this?

here is an article that I found on the Internet:

DIY - Create Your Own Bokeh | DIYPhotography.net

Good luck, and if you get some good results, please post them here. :)

--Warren

• Like Like x 1
  5. 123stevevw

123stevevw New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2012
    Herefordshire. UK
    I'm using the kit lens 14-42. I've tried many different size cut outs, apertures, you name it. I then pick up my friends D300 and the first cut out I try worked wonders! Frustrating. Need to check what lens he had on there

I've already read the links (but thank you anyway) and still can't get it right. I'm thinking I need a different lens?

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The opening needs to be big enough to generate a shallow depth of field, but optically smaller than the one in the lens so it becomes the controlling aperture shape. With the kit lens you're probably facing a combination that's physically impossible to achieve.

I just ran a quick test with my 50mm f1.4 and it was easy to get the size right on the first try. With the kit lens, as soon as I got the size small enough to control the shape it was killing all the bokeh with a deep depth of focus.

If you take a look into the kit lens you'll see how really small the aperture actually is.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 123stevevw

123stevevw New to Mu-43

Jan 2, 2012
    Herefordshire. UK
    Thank you very much for your help. Gives me an excuse to start looking at new lenses!