1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

shallow dof

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by caimi, Mar 15, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    There is presently a debate raging at one of the other popular digital photography websites that I find entertaining. It is about the use of extreme shallow depth of field in images posted on that website.

Apparently, the OP is incensed that too many images he sees posted on the site display extremely shallow dof without any thought as to why. If I understand the gist of his complaint, he considers it a sign that this hobby is rife (there's a good word you don't get to use too often) with posers who only display shallow dof in their images to show off. He calls them GWC's - guys with cameras (A derogatory term apparently. I had to look it up.)

I offer this:

gato1.

as a possible example of the GWC genre (and of the cat picture genre for that matter) . I could give you reasons why I may have used shallow dof and focus on the eyes in this picture but I leave it to you, the readers of this thread.

If you saw this picture in any of the image threads would you think of me as a GWC? Well would you?

2. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    The crop seems a bit odd to me and I'm not crazy about the selective colour, but both eyes seem to be in focus, which seems to be a fairly typical type of cat portrait (eyes in focus with the rest of the face slightly to extremely out of focus).

3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    People seem to have an issue with selective color. Here (in comparison to the same image with a b&w nose) in consort with the shallow dof, it seems to give the picture more dimension. At least I thought so.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Hmmm. Shallow DOF, a cat photo and selective colour. If you had the cat in front of a brick wall it'd be near perfect.

So close to a masterpiece.

Gordon

p.s. who cares about what motivates others to shoot. If they like shallow DOF and they're having a blast doing it, all the best to them. There's just as many crappy photos that have used the principal of hyperfocal distance as well.

• Like Like x 2
  5. bluzcity

bluzcity Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2012
    Memphis, TN
    Brent
    I love cats but it seems I can never eat a whole one:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    The DOF doesn't make me think GWC. The subject, the framing and the selective color on the other hand... :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  7. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    What if I told you I took it with my cellular phone. Does that make me a GWCP?

8. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I would not worry about it too much. Many try to downgrade others to make them feel bad in some way. It is usually because they feel so inferior that it is the only way they can try to feel better. Others just like to talk for no other sake than to talk. Either way....

Go shoot some photos and don't worry about it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I wasn't worried. The whole discussion was amusing.

10. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Heh the DoF wars. My take on it: meh (shrug).

• Like Like x 1
  11. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Every year I make a photobook and I try hard to mix hyperfocal and thin dof. because it´s so boring with too many of each.