Shall I give the E-P1 a shot??

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Chow Monkey, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Chow Monkey

Chow Monkey Mu-43 Regular

Coming sunday I leave for another travel to Surinam which is in South America.. Last time I brought my 5D with all lenses and the E-P1 with 14-42 and 17mm. I almost made all shots with the E-P1. My best shot which gets published and is on an exhibition was however made with the 5D...
    When I returned I bought the 20mm in order to get the same quality in sharpness as my 5D. The E-P1 is still not a 5D but the 20mm made it much better in terms of IQ..
    What shall I do.. Bring the whole lot with me again so I feel ok although my back will be broken after the travel or shall I give the E-P1 the chance to prove itself as my only cam this time..
    This is my current Pen set..

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Just take the Pen.
    Beings that you depend on the 5D so heavily, it just might get you to focus more on the Pen and images if you don't have the 5d with you....

Just think about the lack of weight and portability.....now it becomes a no brainer, something I'm very good at....

3. Chow Monkey

That's what I was thinking also.. If I bring them both I will rely on the 5D for difficult shooting. However bringing only the Pen will probably make me focus entirely on its capabilities making me more creative.. I must say it's a bit scary but it can be satisfying also.. I would btw never consider this choice without having this superb 20mm..

4. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    you could just take the 20 and do great.....
    good luck on your trip and please post some images....
    thanks......don

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Chow Monkey, godspeed and go for it! We'll all be waiting here to see your photos and hear how it all worked out for you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Chow Monkey

Yes, the 20mm is enough for 99% of the shots.. However I will take the other stuff for bit more wideangle stuff if needed... Flash is for filling in.. I doubt if I ever use it but I just bring it in case..
    And yes.. I will post pics :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    What's great about this stuff is that, you take alot with you but it still is so compact and light.....
    It's a dream I tell ya ....a beautiful....dream....

8. Chow Monkey

Which will be completed with a 12mm prime :biggrin:

9. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    or a 14....then a 17 1.4 then....

10. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Just the Pen.... Do it do it...

11. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Chow,
    I really know how you feel about the 5D. I used it with the 24-105 for almost everything.
    That with maybe the 35, 24..well.... I don't miss the shoulder pain at all....

12. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Is that Oly bag just available in Europe? I haven't seen it advertised in the US. Is it leather?

It looks like a great way to carry your gear. I'm going to Italy in a few months and want to find a padded brown leather bag to carry my E-P1 and a couple of extra lenses.

Dan

13. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

Do it Chow, do it!

14. Chow Monkey

Yes it's leather.. I don't think it's for sale in the US.. It's rather small but fits the stuff you see on the pic.. Can hold traveldocuments also and my charger..

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chow Monkey

BTW, I wonder what advice I would get on a Canon board :biggrin:

16. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Over at POTN..the same as here...They are all dedicated to Canon...but they're not crazy...

17. Chow Monkey

Ok, I will only take the Pen.. I'm not worried too much.. I can even shoot nice pics with my cellphone so using the Pen shouldn't be a problem.. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chow Monkey

In case the E-P1 for whatever reason breaks in the first week I secretly have hidden my E-410 in my suitcase between my clothes.. Not to use but as backup :wink: