1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

shadow/highlight feature on OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kadmos, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Hello,
    Is anyone using the shadow/highlight (curve) feature on their OM-D? Is that an alternative to HDR images processed by bracketed exposures?

Thanks for your input :)

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    What it really is, is a clumsy way to do in camera what is much better done in post processing with RAW files. Since everything is captured in a single exposure, it's not the same as combining different exposures of the same image.

3. theblindfalconer

theblindfalconer Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    I don't have prior experience with this feature from any other camera, so it may be clumsy compared to others. That said, I've found the feature to be a help, not necessarily for HDR, but for better composing my shot. By setting the parameters, it gives you a great reference to where you'll lose detail in the shadows or blow-out the highlights.

I imagine it could be used in conjunction with bracketing to see exactly how many stops you may want to adjust subsequent photos. Let us know your experience with it!

4. aidanw

aidanw Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I read somewhere that even when shooting RAW it is best to turn off the graduation feature (leave it on "NORMAL") as it will affect the exposure settings.

In my experience it does affect exposure settings - but in a good way - so I leave it on.

5. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I could see it coming in handy if you were shooting photos of kids playing in the snow or something like that where it's hard, even for a camera with as wide a dynamic range as the OM-D, to get the scene exposed well to see the faces without blowing out the background. Bracketing doesn't work very well, necessarily, when there's lots of movement in the scene.

6. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Well thing is, not everyone shoots RAW.

Point is: this feature is actually quite genius if you're a jpeg shooter.

Also, unmentioned so far, video. Given that no consumer cam except the blackmagic(which is still expensive by average standards) shoots RAW, this in-camera tone curve is a great feature to have.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Viewer 2 comes with the camera. It can apply any JPG setting to a RAW file that you can do in camera including adjusting the tone curve. It's free, there's no magic and you don't have to figure out what looks best based on the rear LCD image; which isn't very good for judging much of anything.

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    In fact Shadow/Hightlight control in camera was an Olympus trick since the OM-4.

I see it as a useful feature for JPEG shooters.

9. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I shoot raw. Should I ignore using Shadow / Highlight feature?