SF Flask Mob Meet Up

Discussion in 'Mu-43 Member Activities, Meetups, and Hangouts' started by Mijo, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Here's an article about what Flask Mob is, http://www.thebolditalic.com/articles/4644-join-flaskmob-for-a-sf-photo-adventure

I've been aware about this gathering for a few months now but haven't been able to actually attend one yet. Looks like a huge alcohol / drug infused photo walk to me, nothing wrong with that (IMO). Since there are number of forum members in and around the bay area I'm wondering if anyone here has participated in Flask Mob before. If so, please post your thoughts on this gathering.

There's a meet up on Saturday night and there's a good chance I'll be able to go, unless the spousehammer puts the kibosh on it. If anyone wants to meet up and check it out with me, please post. I've been shooting a lot of film lately so I'm not planning to bring out my mu4/3 gear, but if anyone wants to demo some of my mu4/3 lens (PL 25, PL 45, Oly 12, Panny 8mm) I can bring those out as well.

2. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    When I saw the title, I thought you had a typo and was going to say that a "flask" mob sounds like a better idea...and sure enough, that's what you meant to type. :)

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Awesome, there's disappointingly little in the link about getting $hit-faced on strong liquor though ... :(

What you taking in your flask? Absinthe?

4. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    Unfortunately some of the other sites (i.e. instagram, facebook) that have images of the drinking / smoking that's associated with this meet up are blocked at work, otherwise I would have included those links instead.

As for what will be in my flask, probably Markers or maybe Jameson. Absinthe? I wish.

5. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    So I made to the meet up on Saturday night and thought I would post my impressions, in case someone else is considering going in the future.

This is a much younger crowd than I was expecting, most people there appeared to be in their early 20's to early 30's. Most of the participants were using DLSRs, a few were using P&S and I didn't see anyone using m4/3. Being in my early 40's and using a film camera (M6), I felt really out of place but one of the organizers took the time to introduce himself and chat with me (which was really nice considering he had a lot of people to deal with). There was a fair amount of drinking / smoking prior to and during the actual walk, but I expected that and there was absolutely no peer preasure to indulge.

On a postive note the walk itself was well organized, with a clear plan / path on where the group was going to go. Organizers were spread out within the group with someone on point, another bringing up the rear and a few in the middle keeping people moving. Some of the organizers had boom boxes playing so you knew who to follow and they all had radios and kept in touch with each other. They passed out smoke bombs and other assorted fire works, which were used during various stopping points a long the walk. Someone brought out a few wool pads and lit them on fire for some light painting / long exposures.

Some of the downsides of the event. Since I live in the city and I often go out by myself, I was already familiar with all of the spots along the walk. Consequently I've shot at all of the places we went to before and didn't have to deal with a massive group of photogs trying to get the same shot. The group itself appeared very sub-divided into little clicks / groups, with very few people networking between the clicks. Neither of these things are really suprising and I expected as much before showing up.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Mijo thanks for the update.
    Did you drink and get drunk? I'm guessing not from your text,
    did you get some good photos? Post them here ASAP.

7. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Thanks for the info. I'm open to going to their next event since I've never been on a photo walk or done much street photography.

8. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I had a few drinks before hand and I ended up consuming 8oz of Makers during the walk. I only shot film and I'm going to be developing those rolls later this week (Ilford 3200), I'm curious to see if anything decent came out. If anything looks decent, I'll scan it in and post it.

ApGfoo - You should definately check it out if you've never done a photo walk before.

• Like Like x 2