1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

SF Cable Car

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by tkcrabtree, Jun 13, 2012.

1. tkcrabtree

tkcrabtree Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    Our local small town museum is having a photography contest and I thought about entering the photo below in it. I'm kind of looking for opinions as to whether to pursue it in color or b&w, or whether its worth entering at all. Out of all the images I took on my trip last year this impromptu photo from inside the cable car still does more for me than any of the rest.

I would appreciate any input good or badm as you can learn from all of it.

7370199428_bf4256c527_z.
    TCRAB_20110525_0030 - Version 2 by tkcrabtree77, on Flickr

7370200080_a2588bdebd_z.
    TCRAB_20110525_0030 by tkcrabtree77, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. kanasgowatom

kanasgowatom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    TK, In all honesty, this image does not speak to me at all. I say this because, I cannot tell what it is an image of. This is just my impression.

Kanasgowatom

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I prefer the B&W but I'm not sure it's a contest winner but you like it and that's the important thing.

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Agreed - whether you do well in the competition or not the important thing is that you are pleased with your work. :smile:

5. bobraynard

bobraynard Mu-43 Rookie

May 27, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Bob Raynard
    The b&w!

6. tkcrabtree

tkcrabtree Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    I guess being there and having ridden in this old cable cars makes it mean more. It's amazing how old they are and the patina on everything.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I've got to disagree with the consensus...I prefer the touches of color (particularly the "DANGER") in an otherwise fairly monochrome image.

8. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I mean no disrespect, but when I clicked on the link "SF Cable Car", I was expecting to see an exterior shot of a cable car.

9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    FWIW, I like the color version better because the two red features at opposite corners serve to enhance the appeal of the picture (the red panel, and the word: DANGER). Aside from this, there is no clear subject or theme in the picture. This picture might work as part of a set that documents an old cable car in SF. It does not do so well as a stand-alone image.

I have lived in San Francisco almost my entire life, so I instantly recognized the cable car parts in the picture, but someone else may not have a clue, and thus may not appreciate it as much.

As others have said, if you like it, then that's all that matters. :smile:

Thanks for sharing your image with us, and for inviting our comments.

--Warren

10. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I like the soft feel, cool image.

11. tkcrabtree

tkcrabtree Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    I have yet to find a way to take a photo of the outside of the cable cars without it screaming tourist. After going to SF two years in a row and trying multiple times, it is just hard to get anything unique from them.