Several issues with my "vintage" EP1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sokar, Aug 28, 2012.

1. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Hello All,

I am hoping for some advice regarding my "vintage" EP1. It was sitting on the shelf for a few months after I purchased the EPM1 and now I have started to carry both cameras with different prime lenses fitted.

Recently my friend was using the EP1 and some of the results were awfully overexposed. She is a good photographer and her skills and knowledge of cameras is great having worked in camera shops for many years. The camera was in "A" mode and the exposure set to 0. The results were inconsistent with some shots being correctly exposed and some way off. These were similar shots taken of the same scene, with the same lens.

The second issue was 2 days ago when for some reason I could not adjust the exposure compensation and update the live view (LCD). The resulting photo would have the correctly set exposure, but the live view (LCD) was not indicating the change in the exposure setting. I performed a custom reset on the camera and everything was working as it should.

After the reset I was using the EP1 with the FL36R in FP TTL mode and the results were horrible. With my EPM1 / FL36R combination I am able use the flash in FP TTL mode in bright conditions with great results, and only minor adjustments to the FP TTL settings, dependent upon conditions. I found with the EP1 that I needed to adjust the TTL setting significantly (more than 2 full stops) to get a reasonable result.

I am not sure what is going on with the EP1. I had a similar problem with the EP1 / FL36R flash combination within the first 6 months of purchase and contacted Olympus. They suggested the custom reset, which rectified the problem.

Are there any other resets that I can try? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know it is an "ancient camera" in the M43 world nowadays, but with the 17mm and the VF1, it is still a great street camera.

2. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Sounds a bit like "live view boost" is on. Maybe?

3. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Live view boost is off. The only reset I am aware of is the custom reset function. I have performed this on the camera with the flash attached, and reset the flash also.

I have been through every setting I can think of and everything seems in order. Exposure changes are now showing on the LCD. Rather puzzling.

4. taolang

taolang New to Mu-43

Aug 28, 2012
    since you have mentioned that the camera has not been used for a while, maybe you have an issue of aperture sticking at times on your pancake lens?

5. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks for the response. The lenses are in constant use on my other M43 body. The over exposure results were with the Oly 40-150mm, and the flash issues are with the Oly 45mm and 17mm lenses.

I will persist in using the EP1 and see if the weird results continue to appear. The EPM1 seems a better match with the FL36R, with respect to consistent results, but I am just not ready to give up on the older EP1.

6. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Could it be possible that at whatever ISO the camera wast set at and a wide open aperture, the camera simply didn't increase it's shutter speed high enough to expose the scene correctly? The shutter can only activate so fast. I believe 1/4000 is the max on the E-P1.

Does the overexposure inconsistency always happen? or just that one time?

7. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    It was just this one occasion. About 15 photos were taken, same lens, same scene, same angle with respect to the sun, and even though it was the kit zoom there was sufficient light to maintain a reasonable shutter speed (320@F:5.6). ISO was in auto mode, but all 15 shots were at 200.