Setup your GH3 Like a BOSS

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gsciorio, Mar 15, 2013.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    The GH3 is such a deep camera so I decided to share how I have mine setup. Here's part 1 <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    • Like Like x 3
  2. LDBecker

LDBecker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 8, 2012
    Just wanted to thank you for putting these up. I got a chance to watch them all (on Discovermirrorless) and I'm very impressed! I'm not a pro photographer and I don't have a lot of time to play- your clear videos will help a lot as I get to know my GH3.

Thanks again! :2thumbs:

Larry Becker
  3. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Great to hear! Thanks a bunch for the feedback. I make these videos on my own with zero budget so it's always encouraging to hear when people enjoy them.

Would you want to see a video that starts off with basics of what hybrid photography is and how to shoot it in a easy, straightforward way? I was thinking of making a video that is basically a deeper version of what I did with my BOSS series. Maybe one that spends more time on the menu items and how to get the most out of them.

Thanks for the feedback.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LDBecker

LDBecker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 8, 2012
    Sure - I've looked at your work on your site (Small Camera Big Picture) and it's really impressive. Your talent and experience really shine through.

I bought the GH3 primarily for video to mesh with my Canon XF300 footage and have been really pleased with the few things I've shot with it. I have a G5 also (my intro to m4/3), but I don't like editing AVCHD and I wanted the 50fps video from the GH3 to mesh with the XF300 - it works really well). I do videos for non-profits (as well as my own church/school), and weddings and special events for people connected with what I do.

While I am a long-time user of Photoshop (late '80's) and have worked for a couple of years with Premiere Pro, I'm really enjoying putting footage and stills in Proshow Producer - really a fun program and not too hard. I would still use the Adobe products to color correct and edit RAW and video files, it's GREAT having a program to assemble them in.

Working in the Premiere Pro timeline and bringing in AfterEffects templates is doable, but has a really steep learning curve. I was privileged to have a professional video editor sit with me almost daily for two weeks putting together a project, so that jump-started me.

So, speaking just for me, of course (and it's all about me! HAH!), maybe something to do with shooting FOR hybrid pieces and using them in a templates, like the great Fashion Magazine eTemplate example you have up on DiscoverMirrorless. You pretty much have to plan out and direct the shoot and know what you want it to end up like, then go after the shots. How do you go about that?

Sorry for the long-winded reply - you asked for it!!!

Thanks again,

• Like Like x 1
  5. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    oh what weird you tube hole I just went down... G's vids.. good. then it got to a whole segment of wtf videos after 2 deep. Time for bed.
  6. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Thanks for sharing.
    The GH3 has a great menu system and all those Fn buttons are really nice to customize and use.
  7. ghas

ghas Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013
    Camera Strap

Thanks for all the effort and detail. I couldn't quite catch the name of your cool camera strap and would like to look into getting one.
  8. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    That sweet strap is by Lance Strap. I have both a wrist strap and neck strap. The neck strap is cut to 48" but they make them to order. It's my strap of choice for a light camera like the GH3.

Full review on SCBP this week.
  9. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Thanks for the detailed feedback. Very much appreciate it. BTW any templates for e-products I make come with a detailed video tutorial and a PDF shot list too. :smile:

One of the biggest challenges I face with making educational content is slowing down my daily workflow and processes to see what is important to other photographers.

I've been shooting professionally for 8 years now so a lot of what I do daily is second nature. :2thumbs:

10. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
  11. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    i'm getting major GAS for this camera...
    • Like Like x 1