Setup for this shot?

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by crashwins, Nov 11, 2013.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    What do you guys think? Low flash power (maybe 1/8) and large softbox (60") right of photographer, left of model? Wondering if there's other light going around in here..

http://500px.com/photo/17348177

2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I don't know much about studio lighting, but I count at least 3 sources -two behind the model (notice that both arms have edge highlights) plus something behind the camera as a soft fill. I'm guessing that there was not subtle post processing done. The edge at the bottom of the shorts on the right leg looks odd.

3. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Ha, you may not "know much," but I definitely see your logic here..I'd agree - right after I wrote that I noticed the arms so assumed 2-3 light sources.

4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Main light with softbox at center. One light to the left; direct, no soft box. One light at right; perhaps one stop lower than the left light source.

• Like Like x 1
  5. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Awesome! Super helpful. These are pretty faint lights on the side so maybe speedlites. You think the Softbox is direct at center, behind/in front of the photographer?

How about this one? I'd guess large softbox overhead? http://500px.com/photo/9586477

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Speedlight is about five feet above and forward of the subject pointed AT the subject approximately 30 degrees. Notice the shadows below the nostrils, lower lip, and left collar; and the very shiny spot on the the slope of the noise. Also notice the rectangular highlight in the eyes: about the shape of the flash unit's lens.

7. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Sir, you are good - and I thank you for the help. You don't think a softbox or softlighter is at play here? Just a speedlite?

8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Speedlite with a diffuser perhaps. Or a constant output tungsten/halogen source. The bright spot on the subject's nose is too concentrated to be a softbox.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Big softbox, two rim lights. Huge PP, girl who lifts heavy things. :) ... probably.