Settling the issue: VF-2 vs VF-3 (I just got both today!)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by svtquattro, Jan 2, 2013.

1. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hi guys,

My VF-3 arrived from Oly today, and I just picked up a VF-2 from a local craigslist deal so I have both side by side for comparison on my E-PM2.

Took some pics, will post later.

Quick initial impressions: similar in size but somehow the VF-2 seems much bulkier. It is larger but not noticeably so. For me, an eyeglass wearer, the VF-2 is a bit easier to use, I don't feel like I have to press my eyes as hard to the eyepiece.

Colour seems a bit more realistic on the VF-2, however, the fonts seem to be scaled in a way that makes them look more jaggie than on the VF-3.

The resolution difference, is not noticeable.

The VF-3 in silver looks hot on the white E-PM2. The VF-2: less hot. Might even say UGLY.

I'm not sure which one to keep...

I took some photos thru the viewfinder with my trusty E-620. You will see the image magnification difference as well. Ask away!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Can't wait to see your viewfinder shots.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Crucially how are they for manual focus without magnification?

4. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Tried it tonight with my Zuiko 24/2.8 and its possible but not all that easy. Turning on magnification and yes, waay easier than the back LCD.

Miss those old split prism focus screens!

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:thiagree:

I bet that some brand will come up with a manual focus digital overlay that looks like an old focus screen!

I love my VF-2. One advantage it has over the VF-3 is that you can get a larger eye-cup which works even better for those of us with glasses.

6. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Here are the comparisons. I first focused the PEN, then I shot thru the viewfinder in each case with a trusty E-620 with 14-42 kit lens, ISO1600 JPG. The front element of the lens was pressed right up to the eyecup of the VF-2 and VF-3, which I think simulates the view an eyeglass wearer would see thru each viewfinder.

I was surprised I could focus still and in spot metering, get a decent exposure.

Shots were handheld (one camera in each hand), so not the best. But you can see the larger view of the VF-2, but more importantly, the better color fidelity. It's more pronounced here than with my own eyes, but I guess the camera doesn't lie...

Thoughts?

VF-2 image
    VF-2.

VF-3 image
    VF-3.

And now some pics of the viewfinders themselves

P1020651. P1020650. P10274441. P1027441. P1027443. P1027440.

• Like Like x 2
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The VF3 almost looks monochromatic! Very low saturation of color.

I just ordered a second VF2 for my second body. Cameta has some refurbished ones for the price of the VF3. The one thing that the VF3 does have that I wish the VF2 did is a lock. The VF2 is easy to pivot up on you.