Settings for RAW?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by The Minimalist, Dec 27, 2011.

1. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    I have just shot my first photo's in RAW and was suprise how easy it is to convert, but I was wondering, what settings do you have the camera on when shooting? Standard film and AWB? Would that be ok or some other?
    Sorry if this is a dumb set of questions.
  2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    RAW stores the data straight off the sensor, all the settings you are talking about only affect the JPG.

Long way of saying that it doesn't really matter with RAW
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    White balance can still matter somewhat with raw, but you have a LOT more ability to fix it if its off with raw than with jpeg. So I generally shoot auto WB with raw but am sometimes more prescriptive with jpeg unless I REALLY trust the camera.

But all of the other stuff, like film simulations, filters, NR, highlight and shadow protection, sharpening, etc, affects the jpeg processing but not the raw file. So you can choose your own settings in your processing software to give you the results most pleasing to your eye...

4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I use Auto WB since the camera is going to get it right most of the time and that will be the default WB passed to the raw convertor/editor. If it looks wrong you can change it during processing. Some proprietary raw software (Olympus and Canon for example) read the in-camera jpeg settings and set these as the default for the raw conversion, but if you are using standard software such as Adobe Camera Raw it will ignore any jpeg settings beyond WB and aspect ratio and use the camera profile stored within it's database.
  5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    There is one advantage in setting up you jpeg settings to a style you like, even if you shoot raw. The previews and histograms on most digital cameras are based on the jepg settings. Setting a camera for a lower contrast, for example will affect the histogram that is displayed during and after shooting. This in turn, will affect decision you make in regard to exposure etc.

Oh. Most cameras do apply the noise reduction to the raw file as well as jpegs, so changing that will affect the raw file, just like the exposure settings.

6. The Minimalist

The Minimalist Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2011
    Thanks, I will coninue to experiment with both jpegs and raw files to see what I can create and learn.