Settings for formats (Raw + jpeg, etc.)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by D@ne, Mar 13, 2012.

1. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    This is potentially a stupid question...but if I solely use/edit/process the Raw files taken with my e-pm1 in Lightroom, why do I have my camera set to record both Raw and Jpeg formats? Am I just wasting card/harddrive space?

:blush::blush::blush:

• Like Like x 1
  2. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

I use both for maximum flexibility. Sometimes the camera nails the jpeg and I barely have to touch it. I always have RAW to fall back on if I want to do some serious denoising or exposure adjustment. The Oly jpeg colors are usually more pleasing and take quite a bit of work (for me) to duplicate in Aperture. Also I can go crazy with settings/art filters if I want and always have that RAW to fall back on.

Edit: yes this would be an enormous waste of space if I never used the jpeg.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bryan

bryan Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2012
    I shoot RAW+JPEG so that I can import the JPEGs first to quickly preview and rate my shots and discard the obvious throwaways, before importing the best shots in RAW format for further processing. This easily cuts my import time in half (compared to working with RAW file from the start), and makes the process much lighter and more responsive.

Not sure about Lightroom, but Aperture works really well with this workflow with its "import matching RAW files" feature.

• Like Like x 1
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you really never use jpegs, then yes, you're wasting space I think.

I generally shoot raw+ medium jpeg, though, so I have the option of quickly uploading or sharing the images if I want to. I won't always have a raw converter with me, but any computer can read a jpeg.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The RAW actually contain an embedded JPEG preview, so for that sort of use you can also simply extract and use the preview, although you will need some software to do so (most common image browsers have the option).

DH

6. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Thank you all...I think I will continue to include the jpeg option, but I will lower the resolution & size to conserve space. For some reason on the E-PM1 and shooting in a 16:9 format on RAW-only, the preview in the LCD is cropped and has a white box surrounding it, which is annoying.

I'm using Lightroom 4 and I'm not sure if I can specify to only import the RAW pictures...will investigate further.

7. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes, but I believe that embedded JPEG is very low resolution.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The resolution is whatever the camera uses for its RAW previews. On Olympus cameras, that's 3200x2400, which is pretty good sized.

DH

9. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    When I first explored RAW, I shot both formats. After shooting both formats once, I realized there wasn't any need for JPEG, so now all I shoot is RAW. With the ease of RAW conversion with programs like LR and Aperture ... there isn't much, if any, difference in processing time.

I know some wedding photogs who shoot both in order to quickly provide proofs to the client. Unless you have a real need for JPEG, i.e. news/sports photogs need the speed of transmitting OOC images to the office to meet deadlines, why waste the card space and toss additional tasks on the camera's processor?

Gary

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you're using Lightroom, then it handles RAW files as seamlessly as it handles JPEGs. I see no reason to shoot both. You aren't likely to lose anything by shooting only in RAW. If I ever need a batch of photos in JPEG, Lightroom is quick about outputting those files to a folder on my desktop.

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'll second (or third I guess) Gary and shnitz. Aperture imports and catalogs my raw files. I would do the same with raw+jpeg. It outputs jpegs that with the default settings that look better than my G2's jpegs.

The exception is if I'm shooting with b+w in mind. I'll switch to jpeg+raw so I can see b+w in the viewfinder and have a reference in Aperture.

Fred

12. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Unless, of course, you don't have your computer with LR with you. Then it takes substantially longer to convert your raws.

13. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yes, if you are in the habit of uploading onto others' computers in places besides your home, then obviously one should consider JPEG for maximum compatibility among multiple boxes. However, I assume that many others are like me and usually only upload their photos onto their own computer. Or, like me, many probably have a laptop as well so that even if they're visiting another city away from home, they can simply load the images onto their portable computer until they get home to sync the catalogs. Lightroom allows multiple installs exactly for this type of user.

14. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I'm not a professional...so I tend to only put my pictures on my own computer, which has Lightroom. I'm assuming that's why someone would come upon the situation of using someone else's(?)

Anyway, thanks for all the advice...camera settings have been changed to RAW only, which seems to also speed up the camera ever-so-slightly.

15. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Well, maybe you are visiting family and giving them the photos you just took, or you are with friends and want to upload the photos to facebook, etc. If you're a professional, and you are working with computers that can't handle RAW files, you're doing something wrong. Although, that's when a $600-$800 laptop with your Lightroom (or your favorite other organizer/editor) saves the day. If you're a professional, you buy whatever speeds up your workflow, improves your capabilities, and will reasonably pay itself off. As I said above though, I think that most people are not in the habit of uploading their photos onto others' computers for the most part, especially professionals.

16. meyerweb

Sep 5, 2011
    Exactly. I visited relatives in New Jersey right after Christmas, and took photos of their kids playing with my (much older) kids. Since I shot raw+jpeg, I was able to pop the memory card out of my camera, stick it in their laptop, and give them jpegs right on the spot.

Yes, I could have lugged my laptop with me, gone through the pics in Lightroom, and exported to jpeg, but for the intended purpose there was really no need to do so.

17. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Plus a lot of laptops these days are netbooks, which are far too slow for Lightroom to run well on, even just to convert.

DH

18. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Right...forgot about visiting family, etc. I tend to take my notebook with me when I travel though.

19. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Most people have Picasa or can get it free. You can upload and edit RAW files and then export as jpeg.

• Like Like x 1
  20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    I was just reading through my manual, and I see there is an option on the camera itself (e-pm1...so I imagine most other oly's) to convert a RAW file into a JPEG. This is good to know if you forget to change the setting to RAW+JPEG and don't have the proper software handy.