1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Settings for "Filmic" Look on GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rustysilo, Dec 8, 2011.

1. rustysilo

rustysilo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2011
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I have had my GF1 for some time now and I'm comfortable with using it for still photography, but I've not really used it a lot for video just yet. Just a few times toying around with it.

I need some education on the "best practices" in using it for recording video. How would I achieve the closest I can get to the "filmic" look regarding the mode to use as well as the aperture/shutter speed/iso settings and the color mode settings?

As a sidenote to this conversation: Are there any freeware for editing the video of the avchd lite files? Would it be best to use motion jpeg?

Right now all I have at my disposal is Windows Movie Maker which will not open the mts files. I do not have the funds to purchase a movie editing software at this time so if there are recommendations for freeware I'd appreciate it.

2. adelorenzo

adelorenzo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    There are plenty of free tools to re-wrap or convert the AVCHD files. I use ffmbc (or ffmpeg) to re-wrap the files into .mov and then edit them in Lightworks. Lightworks is free professional editing software but be warned it has a steep learning curve. There are some really good user plug-ins for getting that look.

VideoPad is somewhat easier to use and can edit the files as well. The free version will convert them for editing, whereas the paid version will edit them natively. I don't recommend this software though as the company tries to install as much spam and crapware on your computer as they possibly can, and it is difficult to remove it all.

Post-processing and effects plugins are your best bet to get a good look with your footage.

In terms of getting that look straight from the camera, I have a GF2 which has even less control over video than the GF1 so I can't offer any advice. All my footage looks like crap so far but I am still fairly new so hoping I can coax better results out of it. Use manual lenses if you have them.

The only good video solution I've found so far is to start saving for a GH2.

3. marko

marko Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 10, 2011
    [ame=http://vimeo.com/10152670]Saturday (DMC-GF1) on Vimeo[/ame]

Here is a video a put together a while back. I actually just shot most of this in A priority with auto iso. It locks up at the end I need to reupload it.

I just imported the videos into iMovie on my Mac. Took a while to import but easy to work with after that.

I'm no videographer but I feel you can get decent results out of it.

4. rustysilo

rustysilo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2011
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Thanks guys. I'll definitely have to give Lightworks a shot. Looks pretty awesome.