1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

settings for astro modified camera - help

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, Mar 25, 2015.

1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi all!

Is anybody out there using an astro modified micro four thirds camera (stock filter replaced with Baader uv/ir cut filter)? I recently had my camera modified for astrophotography and I am having an incredible hard time with the white balance...

If yes, what settings are you using to reduce the red color in the background? Does using a custom white balance help while still keeping the sensitivity to H-alpha?

I also use a Hoya red intensifier filter on the lens to reduce light pollution...does that affect the custom white balance in case I need to do that?

Thanks a lot in advanced!!!

2. JCDowdy

JCDowdy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 8, 2014
    Tennessee
    John C. Dowdy, Ph.D.
    What camera are you using?

3. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    I am using the EPM2

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    My camera has a full spectrum conversion rather than an astro one. WB is certainly an issue :)
    CWB does reasonably well, but using it with no filter mounted I get very odd colours from a few items (typically dyed fabrics/hair).

The red intensifier has fairly little effect on most colours, just reducing yellows from sodium AFAIK. Images with one on my normal cameras certainly look fine. It might have other effects on a modified camera - In visible light it has a complex spectra which happens to absorb the sodium D lines, whilst letting through most of the remainder, I'm not sure how it behaves just outside the visual, but IIRC it was still narrow absorbances.

I'd suggest trying the CWB, if you shoot in RAW + JPEG you can redo the WB when processing the RAW file if it doesn't work.

FWIW I've not seen any sins of H-alpha on the few star shots I've tried with the full spectrum camera but I was using it's normal CWB so CWB may reduce your sensitivity.

5. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. I will try to use a CWB and see what happens.

Cheers