1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Setting White Balance with GH3/GH4 with ExpoDisc

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by shanguli, Feb 1, 2015.

1. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    I've looked online but couldn't find any tutorial on setting custom white balance on Panasonic GH3/GH4 using ExpoDisc.

All I could find was video tutorial where people do it on Panasonic cameras using Grey card / color checker passport but not an ExpoDisc (like the below video)...

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBEc8qLz78s)

2. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Walnut Creek, CA
    Fran Guidry
    I'm a long way from an expert, but I use the menu and button technique shown above, but instead of a gray card I put the camera at the subject position pointed toward the shooting location and cover the lens with the Expodisc.

Then it's white balance, custom white balance, up to set, OK to set. While I'm in that position I also set my exposure, and I've been very happy with both settings.

Fran

• Like Like x 2
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If you happen to shoot RAW and have the Xrite colour checker, it's quick and easy to set up a camera profile in LR to ensure that all shots taken with that camera start off with the right profile. Colour balance is then relatively easy to adjust with the LR dropper.

4. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    unfortunately, don't have the x-rite. hence I was wondering about the expodisc...

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have the original Mini Colorchecker of Colorchecker Classic, as it's sometimes known, which is about the size of a credit card. It's very handy, but seems to be discontinued, though still available from some suppliers at a ridiculous price. If you shoot RAW, I personally believe that these are better and worth having, as it allows you full control in post-processing. It doesn't set white balance, but actually creates a camera profile relative to your camera sensor.

6. shanguli

shanguli Mu-43 Regular

Sep 16, 2014
    canada
    True, x-rite color checker is nice, specially for product photography, landscape and architecture, but when we're talking about portraiture and people photography and doing event, where you'd have to move fast between shots, it's not really that practical to go with x-rite color checker pass or things like that, hence I find expodisc to be more applicable and that is why I am really wondering how should I go about using it correctly with the GH3/GH4....

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    By profiling your camera in LR using the X-rite plug-in, you've set up the camera colour calibration from the outset (just like having your monitor/printer colour calibrated), a big step in reducing post-processing time. Also, it's probably just as easy, if not easier, to take a quick shot of the colour checker wherever you happen to be shooting and put it away, than installing the expodisk and doing a white balance in-camera. When you have a colour checker, you have it all in one, easy to carry, card.