Setting WB on a "Full Spectrum" conversion?

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
For anyone who has had their camera converted to "Full Spectrum Infrared," when you put an IR filter on it, do you set your white balance through that filter and on whatever color you plan to be neutral?

Example: If I use a 720nm IR filter on the full spectrum camera, do I set the WB to green foliage if that's what I want to be most neutral rather than a gray card? Or blue sky if that's my prominent thing I wish to keep neutral? Or skin color through say a "Super Blue IR" (Sold by Lifepixel.com) filter? And is this done for each filter from say 470, 590, 665, 720, 830nm, etc.

Tia.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have always metered on a patch of green grass (foliage works as well) as this is typically what is "white" in a 700-750-ish nm IR shot. Of course when working with IR you should always be shooting in RAW since there is almost no such thing as a SOOC IR shot and they always need some work. So if shooting IR you can change up your WB later. But I do like to try and get as much right in the camera up front so I can better visualize where I might be going with the end result.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have always metered on a patch of green grass (foliage works as well) as this is typically what is "white" in a 700-750-ish nm IR shot. Of course when working with IR you should always be shooting in RAW since there is almost no such thing as a SOOC IR shot and they always need some work. So if shooting IR you can change up your WB later. But I do like to try and get as much right in the camera up front so I can better visualize where I might be going with the end result.
Thanks!

Given the E-M1 has four memory locations for a custom WB, I think I might try and put a generic 720nm filter on the camera and set WB1 for a Gray Card, WB2 for green Foliage, WB3 for Blue Sky, and WB4 for Skin. I can print a color card for each of those colors based on the ColorChecker Passport colors - or close enough. That way I can thumb through the four WB numbers to the one I want. With the 720nm as a mid-point, it might cover the others so I wouldn't need to try and come up with a new calibration each time as sometimes the camera refuses to accept the WB without a "Out of Range" warning instead.

I found this on Lifepixel's site for setting WB using their screw-on filters:
Hyper Color 470nm (None listed)
Standard IR 720nm Use green grass.
Enhanced IR 665nm Use gray card.
Super Color 590 Use gray card.
Super Blue + IR (None listed)
Deep B&W IR 830nm Use green grass.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom