Setting up the OM-D EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Clint, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I had initially set out to post some information on setting up the OM-D EM-1. But it got to be so long it would make the longest internet post in the world! And it is really only a beginning. So I turned it into a PDF file for you to download. Hope it helps.
    • Like Like x 18
  2. Richard Ripley

Richard Ripley Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 11, 2010
    Monrovia, CA
    Thanks for the information Clint, much appreciated!
  3. mrcultureshock

mrcultureshock Mu-43 Rookie

Thanks for sharing Clint!
  4. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Because I made this available the way I did, the only way for others to know if it was useful, is if you post something back to this thread. If you find it useful please post back. Thanks to those that have either thanked me via the post or posted back.

If you do not find it useful, then no comments will let this thread disappear from view.
  5. csemms

csemms New to Mu-43

Feb 15, 2011
    Arlesey Bedfordshire UK
    Hi Clint

Thank you for the work you did on the setup of the EM1.

I found it very useful

6. RKTodd

RKTodd Mu-43 Regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Yes, I also found it useful - thanks!
  7. theanser

theanser Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Dear Clint,

May I ask if you prefer setting the release lag to short instead of normal? Thanks!
  8. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Thanks Clint I downloaded it this evening and will be reading it tonight.
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    I played around with the Release Lag Time and could not tell what it really did, so I’ve left it set to normal.
  10. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    do you guys find that the EM1 underexposes by 1? if i do an auto tone in LT5 it corrects it
    how is your exp. set up?
  11. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I use a lot of similar settings, but there are a few things I change. The main two are:

EVF Mode: Style 1 or 2. I like being able to see the built in level in the viewfinder, and it doesn't appear in Mode 3 (the default). You need to change to mode 1 or 2 to take advantage of it. I personally prefer Mode 1.

Menu G (Color / WB): Keep Warm Color: This is on by default. I find it adds a yellow color cast to most of my photos which I don't like, and when mixed with a custom white balance for studio work it drives the Huelight profiles crazy in LR. I turn this off.

I don't find the EM1 underexposes. Overall I find the exposure on the E-M1 to be excellent so I imagine it's just a setting that got changed. If you're in any mode other than manual, check the exposure compensation in the viewfinder to make sure it wasn't changed. There are a few variables that could be causing this for you, but to try to answer it would derail this thread. Post a new thread asking for advice and let's see if we can't help you sort it out.
  12. colonelpurple

colonelpurple Mu-43 Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    I wouldn't say one stop, but certainly I think it slightly underexposes
    Normally the manufacturers design this where they think their sensor is better at recovering shadows then highlights. My somewhat limited experience with the E-M1 would tend to bear this out, However I wouldn't like to more then 1, perhaps 0.75 stops away.
    Lastly I think the E-M1 biases auto exposure on the focus point. Again not completely sure about this but I am testing now, thus recompose and AEL I am using alot, like with all my cameras BTW
  13. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
  14. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    First thing I would set up - custom menu H --> record/erase --> auto
    It keeps the file numbers in sequence when you erase the card
    • Like Like x 4
  15. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    send it back - you have a faulty one

everything I have seen places the histogram for the metered area bang in the middle of the histogram
  16. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Jamie, check Custom Menu J, Info Settings and make sure you have levels checked. I can see the level indicators in any of the viewfinder styles. You may have to push the Info button a couple of times to see them. Personal preference definitely rules the preferred viewfinder style.
  17. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    If one can setup the E-M1 to bias exposure based on the focus target, I'd sure like to know how to set that up.

The E-M1 seems to meter to a 18% gray reflective measurement and is bang on. I do not like the Auto Tone adjustments in Lightroom 5.3 at all.
  18. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Thank you. I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but I couldn't get levels to appear to save my life. I even had "Levels Disp" assigned to a function key and it wouldn't appear in the EVF. Switched to Mode 1 / 2 and it worked right away. I just assumed at that point it wasn't supported in mode 3 and never tried it again.

Works great now though, thanks for the tip! Back to Mode 3 I go. :)
  19. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Depends in the metering mode; in the ESP setting (standard), it prioritized faces in the scene. P73 in the manual.
  20. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    I can see the level in style 3, just toggle the Info button.

I see that this was already mentioned.. :)