1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Setting up the GH4 for Action Stills

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by RRRoger, May 5, 2014.

1. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    My GH4 "is in the mail".:confused: :tongue:
    I have a 14-140 and 12-35 lens and may buy one more (either a Nocticrom 42.5 f/1.2 or 35-100 f/2.8)
    I've heard that it will be much better for Sporting Events than my GH3.
    I shoot MotoCross (fast and bright) and Runs thru Redwoods (medium speed and very low light).
    What default settings would you change?

2. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    I hesitated to reply earlier because I felt my response sounded critical. But I see that nobody has responded yet. I'm a bit confused by the fact that you have high end gear but don't seem to know how to use it. No offense intended. There is no single set of instructions to tell you how to get good shots in those conditions.

What problems are you having with the GH3 that you hope to alleviate with different settings on the GH4? It has a faster focus system. That should help.

More info about what you need help with will assist others in helping you.

3. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    It's a reasonable post. The GH4 has a new AF system vs. GH3 and is supposed to be better for action. But there has been some discussion (here or at DPR?) about which AF mode to use for sports.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Tell us how you usually shoot these events and why you were unsatisfied with GH3.

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    There is a GH4 setting called "AF Mode-Tracking" which you can access in the Q menu which I assume is for exactly what you are looking for. I have posted this test before, but he used C-AF so he could compare it to his GH3 (and the GH4 performed much better). Hopefully, AF Mode-Tracking will use the DFD database and a predictive algorithm to improve on the results he got with C-AF. If you have time, doing a test of that mode and comparing it to C-AF would be awesome to see. If the DFD database and C-AF was much improved over the GH3, but not quite as good as his D4, maybe AF Mode-Tracking will get it even closer (or equal!!). Here is the link to his test and how he performed it:
    http://www.naturalexposures.com/panasonic-lumix-gh4/

• Like Like x 1
  6. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    I am a Nikon guy who has lost his NAS.
    The Panasonic GH4 is so new that I've only had it in my hands for one hour.

I had the GH3 set up incorrectly for bright outdoor Motocross.
    The camera viewfinder blacks out after each shot and the AF was way to slow.
    So is the 14-140 lens.
    Because I used it for Movies 95% of the time, I had it set for silent- electronic shutter.

The GH4 is a much more Stills capable camera.
    I would like to know how others are setting up theirs for shooting action?
    I have no illusions of the GH4 performing even as good as a D3 let alone a D4s,
    but I would like to avoid having to purchase a second D5300 just for the 3 Events we still do each year.