1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Setting up a Dual-drive hybrid system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spacecreature, Jan 17, 2014.

1. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Hello guys,
    Would the computer geeks in here plz help!!

I have a new desktop with 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD, and I need help on how to set it up. The operating system (Windows 7 most probably )will be on the SSD obviously but I am not sure if all the rest of the programs should b installed there too, and if so what are the extra steps I need to do so that everything works out smoothly and I dont run out of space!

First I read somewhere that I need to delete Hibernation. Is that a safe thing to do? and if so, can u plz tell me how as if explaining to a dumb person :)

There was something also about migrating the desktop or user profile to the HDD also?..

Ok now about programs. I will have antivirus, Office Word, media players, etc..which I will also place on SSD I guess.

Then I will have to install all the Adobe stuff along with their plugins. So Photoshop, Light Room, Premiere, After Effects, etc..

I will use Photoshop the most , and at a later stage will be getting more into video editing. I read somewhere something about "scratch", I think they were referring to the temporary files while editing and those will be a lot and run down the life of the SSD really fast ...so should I install premiere on the HDD, or can I do that on the SSD and tell the program to use the HDD for scratch? ...My videos and music files will all be on the HDD but can the "work in progress" also be there? Or will I have to work on it first on the SSD and then when I am done transfer it to the other disk?

Also In case you suggest I place some on the HDD, would I have to install a plugin twice if the receptive programs that both use it (for example Photoshop + Premiere) are on separate disks? (Coz I think they all share one folder for plugins and usually that's where I place them) .

This is my first desktop . I have so far been using laptops and I never once had to think about where to install what or how to organize my files. I just used it normally until I was out of space and dumped all my files and programs on the same disk until the laptop breaks down and I have to replace it :)

Ok basically what I am trying to say is that I have this new computer (actually it will be delivered tomorrow) and I have no clue how to correctly set it up. Please also tell me about other stuff I might have missed and that I will need to watch out for...

PLZ HELPPPPP.. Thank you

LOVE

2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    this article will provide some helpful info on setting up.
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/windows-7-and-ssds-cutting-your-system-drive-down-to-size/2941

this are just suggestions and your mileage may vary.

add an external drive for backup and system image.
    create your default OS setup and then make a system image so if you need to reload it will be a lot easier.
    then using the info on the article set your my documents, picture, etc to the HDD
    once you have your profile set with where you have your libraries set then install all the apps.
    would suggest let the apps install on SSD - faster load time
    because you set the profile up 1st so it is reflected to the HDD, the apps should find that your directories are on the HDD and not on the SSD.
    not all apps are created equal so you may need to go into each apps setting to make sure it finds the correct dir
    i know for lightroom, you can set where the catalog reside - on the HDD.
    http://thelightroomlab.com/2009/05/...g-onto-an-external-hard-drive/comment-page-2/
    you may need to use google to search for your specific version.
    not sure on the other apps but this should help.
    frank

• Like Like x 1
  3. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Thank you, that was very helpful! He mentioned for paging file you can either move it to your alternative data drive, or you can resize the existing paging file on your system drive.

Which would YOU do?
    (I have 16 GB of RAM)

4. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I would suggest to let windows control the size of the paging file on the SSD drive. it will be faster than the HDD.

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    All applications go on the SSD along with PS/LR Catalogs and image preview files. The actual image files go on the HD. The Adobe site has recommendations for setting up a system for best performance.