setting the numbers for the images to keep cameras unique

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by pellicle, Dec 22, 2013.

1. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

I have 2 cameras (GF1 GH1) and would like to sequence their numbers so as to prevent overlaps (and make their image numbering unique). Currently the numbers are in the P1040xxx.JPG sort of area and have been in the P103xxx.JPG but moving a card between them seems to have screwed that up.

Is there any way to effect the numbering so that one could use: P204xxxx.JPG and the other P104xxxx.JPG

I can reset the numbers but then that's just asking for trouble IMO because then I can't search for a file uniquely either ...

thanks

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It's a great question and one I don't have an immediate answer for. But I have a few suggestions from experience using multiple bodies. The Oly cameras can have the image name customised, to an extent, so it's not a problem. Not sure about the Pannys.

But you can batch rename files on your computer easily enough. Lightroom does it (as does most cataloguing software) but there are free alternatives. Generally I use a date/name/sequential number system. So a file shot as PW1000002.R2W would import as 201312Christmas001.R2W, for example.Once yo get used to doing it, it's a painless process, for the most part.

It's also possible to do it automatically as the files. are copied from the card to your computer.

Gordon

3. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    When copying during import, as you would do when importing from the camera's memory cards, LR can do the renaming thus avoiding the need to bulk rename later.

4. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    +1

When I import into Lr4 I have a preset for renaming my EPL2 files, and my EM5 files. This ensures I don't have overriding file names, and I can, at a glance, determine what camera the pic came from.

5. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I have a G2 and a G5. I reset the G2 to use folder number 200 and left the G5 at folder 100. It takes a little time. Enter the setup menu, using No. Reset (not Reset), add a folder number, fire the shutter to put a picture in that folder. Repeat a hundred (or more times), format the card. Don't mix up the cards, mark them appropriately. My cards seldom leave the camera, I use the usb cable to download and Faststone to rename and cull.

• Like Like x 1
  6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Wow Dan thats quite a procedure! I will be looking for something less intensive :)

Thanks for that though

7. I let the cameras name the files as they want and apply a prefix based on the camera body when I copy them to disk i.e. OEM5-, PGH1-, SNX300-, CG1X-, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    Let me clarify that I didn't do it in one session. It took a couple of months after I got the G5. I didn't waste shutter clicks. I was out taking pictures, resetting the folder number when I remembered. As Lucky said renaming on download is important. I keep my photos by date and it helps to have the camera name as the prefix to the pic name.

9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I copy using USB mass storage, so that's not an option

Anyway
    11409360663_1bca551ec4_c.
    From the GF-1