1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Setting the E-P1 LCD to B&W

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Mar 19, 2011.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I read in one of the threads that someone had done this, but I can't find how to do it in the manual. I even failed with the search function. My Google-Fu is weak today so have pity on me. :redface:

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I always set my cameras like that....
    Here's what I did.... I shoot RAW only. Then set the camera to the B&W style.

The camera shows you a B&W image on the screen because it thinks your going to do a JPEG. When you process the RAW file, the color will come back.
    If you shoot a JPEG, the color is gone....

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    It's mainly for those shooting in RAW. If you set the picture style to monochrome the LCD and viewfinder will display in b&w. If you shoot jpegs you will get b&w images. If you shoot RAW the colour information is still captured and you can get a colour image in processing later, if you wish.

Gordon

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That explains why I couldn't find it. Thanks.

5. Erik_L

Erik_L Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 19, 2011
    what would be the benefit of this?

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    You compose the image without being distracted by colors. If the frame doesn't hold up in b&w, all you're going to get is a weak "family"-quality kind of snapshot in color. On the other hand, if the image is good looking in b&w (good composition, discernible lines to draw the eye in & out, etc.), it won't be bad in color either.

Cheers,

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well, it's a real advantage to see the world in B&W.
    As Mauve pointed out so correctly, you really see your image.
    There is no distraction from reality.

You are seeing your abstraction of reality in a clear pure form as a new reality.
    That's what photography does. Seeing in b&w helps that abstraction.