1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Setting on EPL2 or Later?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rezatravilla, Aug 7, 2013.

1. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Hi all,

just got Olympus EPL2 today as a present (yihaaa!!). Many loved this camera from i read on this forum. Can't wait to take pictures from it!.

Many suggest to turn of noise reduction to get sharp images and shot in RAW then convert to JPEG in OV2.

What i want to ask is, will it's generate the same result if i shot on JPEG with sharpness+1 than shot in RAW then add sharpness+1 in OV2 convert to JPEG?

Because kinda bother to shot RAW first then do editing while on the camera's menu already has the editing features.

I also read that the best setting is sharpness +1 and contrast +1.

need advise (^___^)

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Congratulations on your new E-PL2. Might I suggest that you shoot raw for what it offers? If you are not into post-processing, and consider it a bother, then adjust your jpeg settings and skip raw for now.

--Ken

3. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    thanks Ken! :biggrin:

yeps i don't have a strong passion in post processing :biggrin: okay then i will adjust the jpeg setting. Thanks again Ken:2thumbs:

4. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    IMPORTANT! Read through some posts about when you first get a PEN camera. For example, turn GRADATION to NORM (which is off). Turn Super Control Panel ON. Turn KEEP COLORS WARM off. Turn NOISE REDUCTION off (there are two noise settings. One only factors in when the shutter speed is over 1", I think. I leave that one on and I leave the other one on "low" but I should turn it off next time I remember).

I had the PL2 and out of the box the shots were not good. After making the adjustments they were better (mine actually had a problem though so I sent it back). Also, did you get the 14-42 zoom lens? It's very sharp but when u get up past 30mm, as with a lot of zooms, it loses sharpness.

5. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    thanks tjdean01 ! okay check! :2thumbs:
    can't wait to capture photos with it:biggrin:

ah yes i get 14-42mm. okay noted at 30mm loses sharpness

6. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    by the way, how to turn off keep colors warm? don't have it in EPL2's WB

7. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    I'm pretty sure the E-PL2 doesn't have the 'Keep Warm Colors' option.

As far as noise reduction goes, if you're not going to bother much with post-processing you might want to try the 'low' setting instead of 'off' so you have some level of noise control or at least compare the 'low' and 'off' settings since it can be a matter of taste.

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Go through the gears/sprockets menu and look at every single option. It's there. It's hard to find everything. Maybe do a search of this site and find where it's better explained. I would grab the camera now but I've had too much to drink and it's soon time for bed! :drinks:

9. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    thanks! will try to set it in low. Thanks BeyondTheLines :thumbup:

10. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    that's okay bro:thumbup:

already check epl2 don't have that features. But glad there is custom WB. Will try to play with that. :biggrin:

11. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I suggest you test things for yourself. Your lens may be fine over 30mm. Lens to lens variations are common with these zooms. Also, you may like the out of camera jpgs at default settings. I would shoot with the camera as it is and then make changes and see if you can tell the difference. If you don't like post processing, by all means just use the jpegs from the camera. They will be fine. I had the EPL-2 for a long time and loved it.

Reading the forums here will help but remember to test for yourself before making adjustments.

12. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Congratulations. I got my e-pl2 a little over a year ago and the hardest part about it was learning the menus. I'm pretty sure there are STILL some things that I don't know hot to do or what they do.

13. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
  14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :eek:
    Your ideas are kinda - opposite to mine, and I use an e-pL2 too.
    Use RAW+Jpeg : the Jpegs are excellent, but if you need to recover shadows or blown skies use the RAW and post-process. OlyViewer is slow but nice for colours.

Sharpness : I use S-2 because the default Jpegs are too sharp for my thinking.
    Contrast : leave it, or tweak according to the lens used.

I use Vidid mode, Amber+1 and Green+1 (but I forget exactly why).
    Indoor uses pop-up flash bounced from the ceiling.
    S-AF, Burst, Auto-WB ISO200 most of the time.
    Noise reduction : Standard, but doesn't do much since I don't use high ISO in this camera 'cos of the excellent flash.

15. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    hahahaha :biggrin: depend on. When i shot landscape and architecture i definitely will use RAW but for daily, i use JPEG.

Hmmm really interesting your WB setting, Ulfric:thumbup: okay i will try.

I thinks Olympus strong point is in their sharpness and color that's why i set my NR to off or low. Yeah it will be noise but really sharp.:2thumbs: