Setting IBIS

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by slothead, Dec 15, 2012.

1. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I tried searching for this topic, but am now concerned that my OMD might not be working correctly.

There are three IS settings in my menu (IS1, IS2 and IS3). I thought I would set each one to a different focal length, but whenever I do this they all change! I had set IS1 to 20mm (for my Panny 20 f/1.7) and IS2 to 90mm for my Oly 45 f/1.8, and IS3 to 150 for my Oly 75 f/1.8. But wheenever I change any of the IS settings, they all seem to change. What am I doing wrong? (Or is there something wrong with my camera?)

2. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    I wasn't aware you could "assign" a focal length to one of the IS types.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Well you can certainly change it, but now I am wondering what I am actually doing!!!???

4. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    The three modes are for different modes, i.e. vertical only stabilization, horizontal only, or both.

Also, you only have to set focal length for manual lenses--lenses with contacts will transmit fl to the ibis for you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Thanks SS. I'm not sure I understand why you can set any of the three differently when the camera aligns all three, but it sounds like it doesn't matter anyway. I do have a couple manual lenses (my Nikon adapted stuff), but for most of my shooting, I'll ignore it.

6. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

as I understood the manual, if you want full stabilization, use mode IS1
    If you are going to pan the camera horizontally, use vertical stabilization, mode IS2
    If you are going to pan the camera vertically, or horizontally with the camera turned 90°, then use horizontal stabilization, mode IS3

You can input the focal length of non-native lenses through the INFO button, choose the focal length closest to the one you have.

It's all in the downloadable manual, on page 49
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/files/oima_cckb/E-M5_Instruction_Manual_EN.pdf

c u
    Rafael

• Like Like x 2
  7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    BTW, if you have non-coupled lenses (manual focus lenses) just set them to their m43 focal length i.e. a Canon FD 50mm f1.4 should be set to 50mm, not its 135 format equivalent (100mm).

8. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    That's expressing it in an unclear way, Zapatista, since their is no such thing as a "m43 focal length" !

If focal length on the lens reads 50mm, than set the IBIS to 50mm and NOT to 100mm what would be the M4/3 field of view equivalent !

Just input what is written on a lens.

It's more troublesome when you're dealing with adapted zoom lenses.
    I use them a lot, and generally set them for the mean focal length, or otherwise change accordingly when zooming in or out.

C U,
    Rafael

9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I understood it either way Rafael. By the way the manual I have has the instruction on page 47. Is my manual out of date?

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    While you can set the focal length with a digital lens attached, the focal length number and the instructions are greyed out since that information is sent from the lens! If you attach a manual lens, manual adapter, or have no lens attached this information is white.

It makes you wonder though that if they can grey out those items, why can't they make it so those items don't appear at all so that we in forums don't have to answer this question a million times! :rofl:

All the information is covered on page 49 of the PDF manual, including explanation of the different IS modes.

11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Another page 49 reference!!! I guess my copy MUST be an old version!