1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Setting aperture with flash

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by visitor, Nov 12, 2012.

1. visitor

visitor New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2012
    Hi guys,

hope you don't mind if I ask such a simple question:

How can I control aperture in Art mode on my E-M5 OM-D with a flash attached? :confused:

Also as you may well guess I'm almost as new to flash photography as to this forum so I'd greatly appreciate any resources you could recommend to get me a little further.

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Keep your camera in Aperture Priority mode, then access your Art mode through the "Picture Mode" settings (after stuff like Normal, Vivid, Muted, iEnhance, etc., you will also find the Art modes) rather than diving fully into Art Mode.

Everything will be easier to navigate if you first go to Menu => Sprockets => Button/Dial => Control Settings and turn SCP (Super Control Panel) on for all your modes (PASM, Art, and Scene), and turn Live Control off. Then when you press OK it will bring up a convenient one-screen menu, and you'll see your Picture Modes near the top-right corner. If you don't get the SCP menu when you hit OK, then press INFO to cycle through to it (ie, in RC mode or Art Mode for instance, you can cycle between SCP and your RC menu or your Art Mode menu).

PS... I don't actually use art modes, so I apologize if I missed anything.

3. visitor

visitor New to Mu-43

Nov 12, 2012
    :2thumbs: Thanks a lot, Ned! I didn't know the picture mode contained the art modes and wonder why changing the aperture isn't possible in art mode.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No problema. :)

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

To get the best options from each art filter, set it up first (with frames, effects etc) in Art Mode (from the dial) & then when it's selected through the Picture Mode (when using PASM) it will have that setting in it.