1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Set-up question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by the_traveler, Aug 18, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I shot a old-time bicycle race yesterday and wasn't happy with the quality results.

I was using the Panasonic 35-100 with VR off and the Oly OMD 5 with VR set to 1 and the focus set to continuous with tracking

Is there a better combination or do I have to spend some time working it out?

AND - a very stupid basic question - how do I keep the focus square from jumping around away from the spot I want? I've read the manual but I must be missing something vital.

TIA,

Lew

2. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Press the left button on the 4- way controller, then INFO and the you could choose or cycle between different focal point or focus types. Pick the one that does not cover the entire grid.

3. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    thanks, I guess the problem for has something to do with face recognition and continuous focus.
    I have two weeks to learn this new camera before an assignment so I'm under a little pressure.

I am using Panasonic lenses. Should I shut the body VR of and rely on the lens IS?

4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    "old time bicycle race"? Does that mean they were racing penny farthings?

Tracking a moving object is the weak spot for m43s (for me). If you are standing road side, prefocus on where the action will be and shoot as they go by. If you are going to be moving (e.g. on a motorcycle), turn off face recognition and use single shot focus. A decent depth of field should mask any minor focusing issues.

Cyclists can be moving much (much) faster than you expect, so think about shutter speed.

At least 30 mph down this hill (there is a hard right turn coming up or they'd be going faster). 1/400 sec.

br-2011-03-XL.

20 mph through this left turn. 1/100 sec.

br-2011-04.

5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Use the EM-5 IS, much better than the lens. Turn off face recognition and select the smallest focus area you are comfortable with. Becasue the 35-100 focuses fast I would not hesitate to use S-AF, follow the rider and repress the buttom every so often and then just press straight through when you want a photo.

6. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Thanks for the responses.
    I have been reading a lot of articles and will try to put your advice in action while in SF on a long weekend.