Servicing a Lumix GM5

cjoliprsf

New to Mu-43
I recently acquired a GM5, a beautiful and capable little beast, and I immediately fell in love with it. However, the rear dial didn't work properly. This problem has been reported in another thread (GM5 - Broken Control Dial) and the suggestion given there to spray a contact cleaner seems to work for the moment. However I am realistic and I don't think this will be a permanent fix...

So I tried to open the case to access the dial and clean it more thoroughly. A new dial may also be bought for about 25 USD on eBay if necessary. However problem, I have not been able to open the case. The rear case opens partly, but there seems to be something holding it around the viewfinder. I didn't want to force it and break something...

Therefore I need help, either:
- someone who has opened the case of his GM5 could tell me how to do it,
- or if I had the service manual I would probably find the solution there. I did find service manuals for the GM1 and for the GX80/85, but neither offered the solution. And I can't find a service manual for the GM5.

Thanks for any help...

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Viewfinder is similar to GX85, so I would guess there are 2 ribbon cables that are keeping the back partially attached. I bent one of the delicate little pins getting mine back together and now don't have the green channel in the EVF.
I strongly suggest leaving the back partially attached to the top and working around it if possible. Otherwise, use extreme gentleness in reattach in those ribbon cables. They are expensive ($130 for VFK1950) and not readily available.
But the overall process on the GX85 was about finding all the screws and detaching ribbon cables. Not actually difficult at all. I was also replacing the rear dial - a Panasonic design flaw.

cjoliprsf

New to Mu-43
Viewfinder is similar to GX85, so I would guess there are 2 ribbon cables that are keeping the back partially attached.
I think there is something else, as I can't open it enough to even see these ribbons. I imagine something else like a clip or a hidden screw is keeping the parts together.

Juju D.

New to Mu-43
Bumping this thread up as I'm also very interested in the answer
Could they be locking tabs like in DJI drones?
Would have to press in a specific direction on slide in some thing plastic tool, tried everything but realized I'd probably end up breaking it.

Let us know if you found a solution, or if a GM5 service manual is available somewhere (don't mind investing)

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Finding the GM5 Service Manual would seem to be the answer. Panasonic websites don't have it available?
I remember screws in odd places, especially around the EVF.
And BTW, I strongly suggest ordering the part, You should replace it, not just clean it; and it took almost a month for mine to reach my door.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom