1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Seriously, why is an articulated screen great for video?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by letsgofishing, Feb 16, 2015.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    It seems that a lot of people were really happy to that Oly was bringing out a fully articulated screen on the EM5mII - especially video shooters. For the life of me, I cannot see what the benefit of this is. Why would you want the screen swung out at a 45 deg angle and tilted at 45 deg ( for example), and try and follow what you are shooting when the image on the screen is captured by the lens that is in the same plane as the body? Sure it makes more sense for the screen to remain parallel to the body so as you follow your subject you move in the same direction as the lens is pointed? It seems totally unnatural to look in one direction and move the camera in another.

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    if you are producing a video, there are many situations where you may place the camera, usually on a tripod in a position where it is difficult to see through the VF to frame the shot. Low down, high up, in a corner. Also if you are self shooting an interview, or a piece to camera like a tutorial, being able to be in front of the camera and see the framing is very useful.

K

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    As a STILL shooter, I missed the swivel screen I had on the E-3 when I switched to the E-M5. I like to have the monitor setup like a view camera when on a tripod, and I was able to do this with the E-3 in both portrait AND landscape orientations...the E-M5 with its tilt screen was useless in PORTRAIT orientation!

Unfortunately though even with that the E-M5ii is not enough of an upgrade to make it worthy of purchase without the E-M1 features...was hoping for an E-M1 in an E-M5 body but with the swivel screen.

4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    You will learn to appreciate the advantages of the articulated screen as you get older, it's nice not to have to try and get up from shooting at a low angle, being one of the advantages. If you have ever had to lay down on a damp woodland just to be able to look through a viewfinder, before the days of digital and electronic back screens you will see one of the big advantages.

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
  6. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I can easily see the advantages of a swivelling screen for both video and still but I still prefer a tilting screen. There have been a few times it would be nice but I would by far rather have the discreet tilt only. I was very disappointed to see it in the E-M5 II and it could be a deal breaker for me when the time comes for an upgrade. I hope not all (good) cameras will end up with swivel screens...

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I don't want another camera without swivel LCD, end of story. In fact, I find the LCD on the EM1 very limiting because if it's limited tilt capabilities even for just stills. If all you ever do it shoot at shoulder height then all your shots look exactly the same as everyone else's which gets boring pretty quickly.

As a video shooter I need to get high, get low, get in to tight spots where I can't always have a good view of the LCD straight on, so being able to swing the LCD out sideways is a massive help.

If I'm using a motorised dolly / slider on the ground I don't want to have to lay on the ground to see the LCD, nor do I want to have to attach unnecessary cables and external monitors that could impede the movement.

If I'm shooting on my tall tripod to see over heads (8.5 feet high) I want to be able to monitor the camera from below, which requires an LCD be able to turn all the way down.

When I'm doing walking shots (typically walking backwards in front of a presenter) I don't want the camera at head height, I need it lower since the image looks a lot more natural if the camera is nearer to chest height so we're looking forward instead of down to get their body in as well, with their head higher in the frame. Again, this means I have to be looking down at the camera, not straight in to it.

I use the swing out LCD on the GH4 all the time and will be glad when all cameras have this ability.

8. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Thanks for the responses.

Apologies, I don't know how to do multiple quotes...

"You will learn to appreciate the advantages of the articulated screen as you get older, it's nice not to have to try and get up from shooting at a low angle, being one of the advantages. If you have ever had to lay down on a damp woodland just to be able to look through a viewfinder, before the days of digital and electronic back screens you will see one of the big advantages."

Lol, I'm over 60 and always use the tilting screen for my seascapes!.It just would seem unnatural to look at the scene and have the screen tilted and to the left of the lens axis for an articulated screen.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=sh...l+video+camera
    "Scroll through and maybe you'll get an idea.
    Can't imagine anything more frustrating than walking along behind a DSLR like a first person shooter game..."

Most of those images have cameras with viewfinders so I don't really see what you saying...

9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Frankly I just like being able to flip it around for storage, or if I'm shooting at night.

10. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I just was going to mention that...I use the viewfinder most of the time on the E-M5, so I wished I could flip the screen around like I did on the E-3; I always had the screen flipped around on the E-3 whenever I had it in the camera bag so the screen wouldn't be scratched.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Wouldn't it be enough to have swivel screens on some cameras? Just because you want it doesn't mean all cameras should have it. I don't want it but I acknowledge that video cameras need it. Some still shooters want it but leave some cameras without it for us that DON'T want it. It's one thing to have (great) hybrid cameras but don't leave still shooters behind just because it's "fancier" with all the video yahoo. EM-5 was my camera of choice for many reasons, weather sealing AND tilt screen two of the crucial features. Now I'm only hoping the E-M1 II will keep the tilt (yeah, as if) otherwise it leaves me with no ideal upgrade route. Not happy.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    All this will be redundant when you can put on a pair of glasses and see what the camera sees. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    The biggest advantage of a fully articulated screen is that it tilts away from and to the side of the camera. For film shooters this is a huge advantage as its based largely on the issues that occur with equipment you tend to use when shooting video. Whether its a shoulder rig, steady cam, or other mounting option you need to be able to see the image and often times standing directly behind the camera or looking through the EVF is not an option.

For instance, on a shoulder rig you would put the camera to your right and then the screen flipped out is directly in front of you.

If you do a follow-focus shot, the best place to stand is usually to the side of the camera. Being able to orient the screen to view from the side is very convenient in this case.

For bloggers, being able to swivel the screen completely forward is also extremely helpful when setting up your own shots. This is the main reason bloggers tend to use actual video cameras and not DSLRs.

Also believe it or not when the screen is swung out to the side you are essentially creating a wider center of gravity. When you place your hand gently under the screen with your left hand you can actually hold a steadier shot then holding the camera body only.

Adding a fully articulated screen has just become a detault option because it addresses these problems and gives film makers more options to viewing and composing their image. Its not ideal nor is it perfect for everyone. Unfortunately if a camera company wants to make a significant play for Videographers money, it has become an absolute necessity.

Now if they could figure out a way to make it articulate as well as tilt in place, that would be something. I think you can do it with a double jointed hinge. :popcorm2:

14. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I can understand the benefits a fully articulated screen even if I'm not the kind of person to use it.

I prefer the original E-M5's screen, but that's mainly because I'm a fan waist-level shooing without having to swing out anything. I could still do that with the new E-M5, just not in the manner I want to (plus it's a little easier to shoot candids with the old method since swinging out an LCD gets the same noticeability as bringing up the camera to your head). But least you don't exactly loose the capability with the new screen, it just changes a little with some additional ways of viewing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I blog and can't see any general situation where a swivelling screen, let alone a video camera is useful.

16. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Excuse me. I meant video bloggers.

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    OK, different scenario.

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
  19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That or something similar. I always wondered why Olympus didn't take the VF route a bit further and offer a cable connection and maybe a headset that you could use as a remote viewfinder. It would have been extremely easy to do and may have garnered quite a bit of interest in many different situations.

20. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If you like doing touch screen operations, it is great to be able to close the screen when not in use. Then you can do viewfinder operation with no fear of your nose moving AF point (for example), and no fear of activating anything when handling the camera while it's not turned off. These issues can be such a nuisance with a fixed or tilting back screen, that you give up on touch screen ops.

• Agree Agree x 1