Seriously thinking about buying an e-p5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Braza, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    After reading and looking at the reviews, I came to the conclusion that I really like this camera. It reminds me of my old E-P3 which I just wanted to have a "E-M5 sensor".

But is there any serious flaws in it that can stop me from buying it?

Two things that scare me: 1) the shutter shock (this is a real problem or it can be solved somehow?), 2) too sensitive flash button.

What is your advice? :)
  2. tbyork2012

tbyork2012 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Oxford, UK
    1) I have just tried E-P5 within 1/80 to 1/200 shutter speed with IBIS on, and I have not experienced any shutter shock with any of the images. Images are all very sharp. I have tried using half press to acquire focus first before shooting, as well as a straight full press of shutter to shoot without delay, and have not experienced this problem with either technique. I am not sure if this is user-dependent, a fault with the shutter button of the sample which was tested at dpreview, or related to the lens. I used the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 BTW, as it is nearly always resident on my E-P5. I am wondering if those with 'shutter shock' problem have Rls priority S in menu C set to on, and the blur is more due to the focusing being off (mine is set to off so it will only take the photo if focus is right)?
    2) Funny you should mention this. I had never had a problem with the flash button. But while taking my camera out of its neoprene case earlier to test, the flash button was accidentally depressed and the flash popped out. This is the first time it has happened to me.

It is a great camera, great retro look and with nice ergonomics (and a built-in flash). But if I did not have this camera, I would have jumped to buy the E-M1 (although I wished it came in silver), as it has built-in EVF and has a better grip.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I have not had either problem come up in three months of usage.
  4. Rangerob

Rangerob Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    I just received mine last week and I really enjoy it. I was really hesitant to purchase after all the shutter shock hoop La but decided to purchase any how. I have not noticed any shutter shock yet, but I also leave it in 1/8th shutter delay mode (this is so short after a while you dont even realize it is on. I wish my old GH2 had that option.) I picked this camera over the gx7 because of the 5 axis in body stabilization, the option to use a better evf if needed, the olympus jpeg colors, and auto iso in manual mode. Also, incase your worried about the non removable grip, I think the cameras handeling is awesome, and I have NBA player size hands. After all the comments people made about the non removable grip I thought well I can always get a half case, which I did, only to protect the camera, but it is not needed to make the camera comfortable to hold.
  5. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    As I understand, the shutter shock can be overcome at least in two ways? Turning ON the Anti Shock or just off the IS at all?

And about the flash activation button I worry for the reason that I used to put the camera on the bottom of the bag screen down. In this position, the button can be pressed accidentally?
  6. Rangerob

Rangerob Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2013
    I do not think turning IS off makes a difference. I leave mine in IS-auto and just set the shutter delay to 1/8th. I have shot exclusivly this last week with the olympus m43 40-150mm and have had no double image issues. I really think the problem has been blown out of proportion with the ep5. My gh2 was significantly worse, and unfortunately it did not have a shutter delay option.
  7. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I have one with the VF4 finder and absolutely love it. No regrets.
  8. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    Lots of cameras have a flash button on the left side. Once you get used to it, you learn to avoid grabbing it there. I accidentally deployed the popup on my GX1 and E-P3 many times before learning to avoid the left top back area.
  9. pix530

pix530 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2013
    I love this camera. Enjoy using it.

No flash issue for me, never.
    No shutter shock problems.
  10. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    The EP5 is a great camera with really no flaw (take it video isn't key or else you would have known the limitation of Olympus' codecs and will be the same as your EP3).

As for the shutter shock issue, it's not IMO related to the IBIS system. Its starting to become apparent its more user based then perhaps a flaw in the shutter mechanism. Either way, best way it is to try it out and if its an issue for you there is a work around for it in the menu system for people's exposure button pressing technique that causes it..
  11. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    If cost does not bother you, you will love the E-P5. The flash release button issue is a non issue for me. When I first got the camera I hit it while handling it and the flash popped up. It may have happened once since that time and I don't try to avoid it. Really nothing to worry about there.

I have seen a few photos with the double image blur (when you look closely) and I think this was the shutter shock issue. Generally I have gotten great shots with the camera without the 1/8s shutter delay on. Lately (after that recent article that highlighted the issue), I have turned on the anti shock at 1/8th. It is fine shooting that way for things like vacation shots. I even use it for some mild sports. It is fine. If I felt that I would suffer with the anti-shock delay, it is easy to turn off and from my experience, the photos would likely (99% of the time) be fine.

I have no regrets on my E-p5 purchase and I really like the VF-4. It rarely comes off.
  12. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    Could you post some pictures with shutter speeds range 1/60 - 1/200s?
  13. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Notice the fine spider web lines between the tips of several leaves at the left and top.

E-P5 with M.Zuiko 40-150mm at 85mm, f/4.8, 1/200 sec, ISO 320, Hand Held with IBIS On.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Rodchenko

Rodchenko Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Exiled From Hyperborea
    I can't think of a single reason not to buy an EP5.

My bank manager can think of a few. :frown:
  15. e_kjellgren

e_kjellgren Mu-43 Regular

Oct 17, 2011
    I would like to have the Colour Creator available on the EM1, because that's not available on the EP5 right?
  16. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    EP-5 was the right camera for me. I wanted the most pocketable cam that still had pro level controls & dials, and of course excellent IQ. It's not cheap (esp. w/ EFV), but it delivers full value in the big picture.

My only real criticism is the lame excuse for a grip! But it's still fine one-handed until you strap on a big heavy lens like my 1lb Voigt.

You will appreciate the optional EVF if you shoot in bright sunlight.

I'm another person that hasn't noticed shutter shock (as found by DPR). Here's what S Huff had to say -- read below his quick review here, starting at comment # 13:
  17. Braza

Braza Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2013
    I'm going to buy body only. And the only one lens I have is Panny 25 1.4. How does it fit the E-P5?
  18. azmerm

azmerm Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Alan Mermelstein
    I've been struggling with soft images on my EP5/VF4 and just yesterday turned on the 1/8 sec delay. I am seeing an improvement!

19. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    You mean physically? The P/L25 looks like a small standard zoom -- i.e., a little fatter than some of the other m4/3 primes, but not longer. (Pancakes excepted, of course.) You're sure to find lots of pics of it on some of the Pens -- google a review of the lens, or punch it into a Flickr search.

Btw, the focussing "chatter" noise that some people speak about with that lens on Olympus cams: I heard it exactly one time on my E-P5, but have not been able to recreate it.

I will say that occasionally I find the E-P5's exposure system to go a little weird with that lens; my sister has noticed the same things with her identical system. I find I'm using exposure comp. more with the 25mm than with other lenses. But it's no biggie. I keep the shooting histogram visible, and adjust accordingly.
  20. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Sorry, I realize you were asking about the size match-up between P/L25 and E-P5. It's just fine. The E-P5 is about the size of an E-M5 but without the "prism" hump.