Seriously... I'm confused and perplexed. D7100/E-P5/GX7

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by SRHEdD, Nov 25, 2013.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    So, after a year of full-frame, I decided it just wasn't necessary for my needs. Got a good price for my full-frame stuff, check in hand, ready to buy an E-P5 kit (because I love my E-P3). but now I see big drops in the GX7 and a sweet D7100 dual lens kit for $1650. Black Friday is making my decision to go to the E-P5 harder! Never had a GX7, but like the form factor.

I REALLY like the Art Filters (never thought I would), and have always loved Oly jpgs, so GX7 would probably be a hard sell, but love that built in EVF in a non-DSLR form. E-M1 somewhat interests me, but I like the rangefinder style body of the E-P5 better. Likewise with the E-M5.

2. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Well I'm ready to unload a E-M5 kit, so if you decide you're okay with the viewfinder hump, let me know!

3. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I recently sprang for a used EP5 kit and I think its a great camera. I'm still using the EP 3 and I think the two cameras together make a good pair. I think the only negative on the EP5 is the viewfinder issue - if you use it a lot the built in options (GX7 or EM5 ) might make more sense. I primarily use the LCD with the EVF as an occasional add on - so the form factor works great for me. It's actually a fun choice to make - no bad options.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That's exactly how I use my PENs now, and what attracted me to the E-P5, just a major upgrade to my E-P3. Can you compare both in use? That would be a HUGE help as I HAVE the E-P3 and love it.

5. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    They're very similar in feel. The EP5 is just a tad heavier. The biggest difference is the two wheel set-up on the EP5. It took a few times out to get comfortable with it, but I think it remedies a weakness of the EP3. I was always fine with the back wheel on the EP3, but once I started using the EP5, I realized how fussy the older control wheel is. Both wheels on the EP5 are solid and give good tactile feed back. I think they're great. I always shoot in manual, so having two controls makes a big difference.

Autofocus is really fast. Again, I never complained about the EP3, but the EP5 is just that much better. It has a good touch, too. IQ is very good. I don't get into detailed comparisons, but, as you would expect with the new generation, it's a step up from the EP3. I think I'm having an easier time capturing shadows and highlights, which is great. The LCD is very good. I use it even in bright sunlight and it performs adequately even there. The wifi is kind of fun, but not a must-feature for me yet . . . The VF4 is as good as people say. My take on that, is that if you don't mind having it as an add-on it's an excellent solution to the need for a viewfinder. If you shoot with your eye glued to the camera 90% of the time, it definitely adds bulk - but it would still work well.

I hope this helps. I like the camera a lot. I'm probably still more attached to the older camera - I've only had the EP5 for about a month. But I've definitely switched to using it as my prime camera, with the EP3 more as a back-up or second lens option.

It looks like the camera is discounted by 100.00 on Black Friday - which makes it a bit more do-able.

Good luck with your decision.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Yes, $899 now... and the GX7 was dropped a good bit. Nikon has a D7100 with 18-140 AND 55-300 for about $150 more. I think I'm over DSLRs now though. The PEN series is much more fun and rewarding (to me) to use.

I'm thinking the E-P5, VF-4 and 45 prime instead of the 17. Maybe the 75-300 if I can find a good deal. I'm one of those freaks of photography who LIKES the kits zoom and 40-150, but I understand a prime will really make the sensor shine, so I'll grab that first.

Did you get silver or black. I've always favored the black bodies, but that pic on our homepage of the silver makes me love the silver!

7. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I got a black model - it was a used deal and I didn't have a choice. I agree, the silver ones look pretty good in the pictures. This way though, my EP3 and my EP5 match. I also think the black 17 1.8 is pretty handsome. So, I haven't shed any tears lamenting my choice. The 45 is a good lens. In normal use I alternate between the 45 and the 17. But I find the 17 more useful. It all depends on what and how you shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It sounds like you really want that E-P5 and just want us to confirm it for you! :smile:

The E-P5 is on my list of wants, my only concern being the small and oddly shaped grip{I have big hands}. Price is also a bit high so I am waiting for it to go down in price or for them to offer a camera VF package for a great price.

One advantage the E-P5 has over the E-P3 is the focus peaking feature! If you ever want to use adapted lenses it makes using them so MUCH easier. I wish Olympus would have added the feature down the line via firmware but they haven't and probably won't.

I personally love add-on VFs! I have a VF2 for each of my PEN bodies. You can pull it off for more compact storage. If you don't need it you can leave it off and use the rear LCD instead.

I personally do not like the art filters. I prefer doing funky looks in post with Lightroom or Snapseed or Photoshop. But since you really like them you would have a hard time moving away from them.

It sure sounds like the E-P5 is the best fit for you.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That's funny! I come from the exact opposite end of the art filters. I taught Photoshop at university for years, and love that I can get some simple effects WITHOUT going into PS. I feel guilty sometimes when friends love a pic that the camera made, but only a bit...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

10. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...and I'd really already decided on the E-P5, it is just the Black Friday deals and price drops that are causing me to at least review my options.

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wouldn't let Black Friday deals pull you away from the camera you really want. If anything, just keep an eye out for a great deal on E-P5. There are some to be had if you keep your eyes open!

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Tonight, I've been reading all the comparo reviews; E-P5 vs. E-M1, etc.

Where did this "shutter shake" thing wind up? I read some don't get it, some do. Some can make it happen, some can't. Some get it with every camera, mostly seems to be an E-P5 issue, which is cause for concern. If I apply my judgement and read the common factors, AND between the lines, it seems like a function of a lighter camera (than a DSLR), that requires a little learning to shoot sharply. Anyone getting the "shake"?

13. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    A lot discussion of it on the net, haven't got it in a single frame, though. Maybe I'm just lucky, or it has something to do with your technique also.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    I've looked for it in my images. I sometimes see some blurring at shutter speeds that should be safe. But I've never been able to reproduce the softness (doubled image) with any consistency. A lot of the images in question were taken quickly with either me or the subject in motion. It's pretty hard to isolate a cause of off-focus with so many variables. Basically, at the critical shutter speeds, if I pay attention to my shutter release technique, I've been able to get good results.

I'm also just talking about a small % of shots - at its best (and most of the time) the camera produces stunning images. I've read a lot of the threads about shutter shock and my feeling is that the problem is inconclusive. People post photos with focus/blur problems and call it shutter shock. I think there's a lot of different things going on - one of the most important being user variability. I think the DPReview that started the commotion for the EP5 was off base - although I admit that that is personal feeling and not something I can demonstrate factually. I'm no engineer. I bought my camera after the DPReview came out. I was dismayed by it but I liked everything else about the camera so I thought I'd take the risk. So far, it's been letting me take some good pictures : - ). My sense is that most of the people using the camera aren't bothered by the SS problem.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I read into the reviews the same way. In comparison to the cameras a lot of us have had, even the E-P5 is a lightweight. You just need to hold, breathe, support, and shoot accordingly. I'd bet a good portion of the blurred shots could be attributed to technique, but not all. Sounds like the shutter might be a bit too torquey. I read somewhere that most of use would have preferred 1/4000 and no shake issue, but if you read around others see it with other cameras too. My guess is I'd see it like you do, and thanks for that.

Down to E-M1 or the E-P5 kit. That's actually a hard choice. I'm not sure I like the mini-DSLR look, but the heft may be stopping the shake issue. I don't see it reported with the E-M1.

16. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I'm totally happy with my E-P5. However, it feels so sophisticated and good looking photographing device that I feel I cannot take it to the slopes in the winter time etc. That's why I'm convincing my wife that I really, really badly need E-M1 :rolleyes:

17. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Okay, done.

Drum roll... E-M1. Just ordered it. The plan is to watch for a used silver E-P5, after recovering from this purchase, and replace my E-P3 with it. I love the hunt, and an E-P5 will be easier to find/buy.

18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...and THEN I stumbled upon an E-P5 for $699. Damn, I need to sell some sh*t!!