1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

SeriousCompacts.com

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 31, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I wanted to let everyone here at Mu-43.com know that we have a sister site over at SeriousCompacts.com.

Serious Compacts (S.C.) was originally a blog which I started a few years before launching Mu-43.com and which was later rekindled as a forum with the help of BBW and Streetshooter, two of the original moderators here at Mu-43.com. The members at S.C. share a common interest in smaller cameras, including all kinds of smaller cameras from Micro 4/3 to NEX, GXR, NX, G1X, X-Pro1, X100, GRD, LX5, EX1, other small sensor cameras, Nikon 1, Leica M, and even smaller DSLRs. As you can tell, we use the word "compact" rather liberally.

Beyond our interest in the gear itself (capable smaller cameras), S.C. members share an appreciation for quality photography being done with smaller cameras in general. However, I think most of the members there would agree that it isn't the small camera focus at all but rather the friendly community that has grown there which makes S.C. a special place. A lot of the members there are also members here at Mu-43.com, and others were previously active here but spend their time mostly at S.C. after changing from Micro 4/3 to another system. I think you'll find the type of community we have at S.C. to be a lot like the group here at Mu-43.

I know that a lot of our members here at Mu-43.com also use other cameras systems (eg, Micro 4/3 and also Canon S100 or Panasonic LX5), and I wanted to spread the word and invite everyone to be a part of both sites. I put an S.C. tab up at the top of this page and hope to see some of you on the other side.

• Like Like x 6
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I enjoy both site Amin, sc has been a little kinder to me so far.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Thanks Amin for pointing this out to the Mu-43 community. I am a member at both sites as I own a Canon S100 as well and have even dabbled in NEX territory (and might still consider this going forward if they ever sort their lenses out properly...:)). The SC community is a little smaller than the one on Mu-43, but at least as friendly and informative so I totally second your call for people to join the Serious Compacts site as well!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So is that where I'll find all the people I miss, who used to be contributing members here? I might have to jump ship...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I hope no one jumps ship :eek:. There are a few great former members from here who spend more time there now, but as I said, it is because they've decided to change to something other than Micro 4/3. As you've probably seen, some of the members who leave and use another system, eg Sony NEX, come back here after they decide to switch back to MFT :smile:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MartinOcando

MartinOcando Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2012
    Panama
    Sincerely, I'm already dealing with dPreview and mu-43, and I see posting to another place kind of too much. So, thanks for the invitation, but I feel very comfortable here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Personally, I've reduced my monitoring of DPR and replaced it with SC. Much better for my blood pressure!:smile:

• Like Like x 3
  8. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Thanks Amin! SeriousCompacts is always the first website I go to each time I get on the Internet.

9. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Your IQ has probably also gone up a few points as well..

• Like Like x 1
  10. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    Thank you for both wonderful sites, you handsome man you.

I really enjoy them..

Lucille, aka the HepKitty from Hepcat City..

• Like Like x 2
  11. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Me too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm not trying to push anyone there, least of all at the expense of coming here. Just want everyone to feel welcome and know about the other site :).

• Like Like x 3
  13. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    No kidding! DPR is too much for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I post more here, but follow the threads at SC as well. One thing that I really like about SC is that there is a bit more activity with photo salons/imagequest/challenge than we have here. For example, today is the end of a "scavenger hunt" style challenge where we had a list of 36 + 1 prompts to try and capture/interpret in the month of May. Gallery here - I know it got me out taking photos that I wouldn't have otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Peezie

Peezie Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2011
    Toronto
    Great reminder for me i have come across that site a few times now and also know it's a sister site. But, seeing that i just bought a S100 2 weeks ago, its time to go and sign up there as well.

16. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    There's always a place that feels most at home on the net. Right now, that's serious compacts for me. I kinda like the brand agnostic thing going on there.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like DPR, but I can only take it in small doses :smile:.

18. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I notice that Serious Compacts has a quick access own tab here on mu-43.com, but there is no easy way to get back to mu-43.com.

Is this a subtle hint or just work in progress ;-)

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's a work in progress. Eventually I plan to have links both ways, but the tab system at S.C. is a bit trickier.

20. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    Single sign-on would be a clever trick to pull off here. :)

• Like Like x 1