1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Serendipity!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Apr 30, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    As I mentioned elsewhere, yesterday I took in my Leica 135mm lens to one of my camera stores for repair. While I was at the store, I asked about camera bags that would suit the Pen and my assemblage of lenses. They showed me a Billingham bag and then I noticed a Domke that would possibly be better. I didn't have time to pull all the paper stuffing out of the Domke to try it out, so I settled to do so another day.

Not much going on today, so decided to drop into the store and have another look at the Domke. After pulling out all the stuffing, I put in my lenses and camera and it seemed to work OK, so I put the stuffing into the plastic bag the Domke came in and proceeded to the counter. On my way there, I spotted a pile of second hand camera cases and one in particular caught my eye. 'Allo, allo, I said. Wot ave we ere?'

Back to where I picked up the Domke and repeat with the second hand bag. Bingo! Everything fitted nicely and as this was clearly a video camera bag, everything came easily to hand, rather than having to dig deep. So at the counter I asked what the second hand bag was worth and was told $20. Sold!!! :biggrin: So rather than paying $199 for the Domke, I got exactly what I've been looking for for $20 and after a quick clean to get rid of the dust, it looks near new. I've still got the lens in the stubby coolers, as the pile of velcro inserts that I've got just won't quite fit in the bag, so some fiddling to do to maximise the space.

[​IMG]

It's got me beat as to why no one is making camera bags for the new line up of cameras like the m4/3s etc that really need a new design to accommodate the smaller size and smaller lenses etc. Traditional bags are just not suited to these cameras. I bet as soon as one jumps in, every man and his dog will be there as well. Who'll be first?

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ray,
    What software did ya use to convert the bag from Video to Still?
    It looks like a good all around carry bag...... Good find...

3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    im waiting for the lens-makers to wake up too.

as far as bags go, i had the same thoughts , that none really suited, last time i was at band h photo didnt think to look at video bags

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    It was Olympus 'Bag's Ya Now' software; slow as a wet week to get done, but I get all the Olympus colours and textures. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    A bit more PPing with 'Bag's Ya Now' and things are looking a lot better.

From the outside:

[​IMG]

The revised inside:

[​IMG]

What you don't see in the pockets are the FL-14 and FL-36 flashes, filters, cables, battery charger and bits and bobs.

Much betterer! :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

6. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That really works. Good bag, no blown highlights, plenty of texture...good framing for all the components.....plenty of space around the main subjects....
    good find from the Land Of Oz.......

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Ray - I think you have now broken that dreaded Murphy's Law, and there's nothing like a good deal!:2thumbs:

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    That's an understatement, $20 vs $199, something certainly went right today. :smile:

What I like is the mainly B&W result, with just a touch of colour :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  9. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Glad to see your luck has changed for the better.

10. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Nice work! I'm in a similar fix as I have about as much gear as you do and am still searching for the right bag. I've been using a small Domke bag from my days as a newspaper photo using manual focus gear (which was smaller than the current AF stuff). It's a nice bag, but just a bit too small.

I have a huge collection of bags and acquire more every month or so, and have yet to find anything that works very well. I've talked with ThinkTankPhoto who says they aren't making anything specific for MFT and am going to have a chat with M-Rock next to see what Mike might be willing to do.

I'll try to keep you guys posted and welcome suggestions too.

Dan

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    All it will take is one person to start making useful bags and the others will follow, just like the others are now following m4/3s. I hope you have luck with this.

Cheers

Ray

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    OK, after going out today with the kit, I found a few usability issues, so a bit more PPing and I think I've now got something that works:

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray