It's been a fun, photo journey the past two years. I finally figured out what kind of photography I like - outdoor adventure photography. I really got into camping in the past year and combined with photography, I really feel a passion for the two things.

I joined Mu-43 almost two years ago when I put some serious time and money into photography and I feel like it's going to be a lifelong habit now. Before the summer, I really struggled to push myself to take photos outside. Now that I bring my camera with my camping and backpacking, I'm creating photo lists, planning trips and doing research to figure out what I want to see and take pictures around.

Sequoia National Park showed me that planning, patience, and passion do pay off - it kinda rocked me into seeing the difference between the snapshots and memories I've been taking versus a composition and very mindful plan to tell a story in a photo. I hope you enjoy this photo set and I hope to keep learning.

📷 Follow me on Instagram: @boni_photo
🌐 Check out my photography blog: boni.photo

_1170453.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_1170456.jpg
_1170458.jpg
_1170469.jpg
_1170474.jpg
_1170478.jpg
_1170557.jpg
_1170626.jpg
_1170651-HDR.jpg
_1170872.jpg
_1170972-HDR.jpg
_1171070-HDR.jpg
_1171118-HDR.jpg
_1171228-HDR.jpg

Andy H.

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Next time there check out Buena Vista Peak. It's an easy 1 mile hike from the highway. Awesome for panoramic views!

Agree with others. Beautiful series.
Some really awesome trees.
Those 'downers' behind your tent are massive.
Was it hazy from normal atmospherics or hint of smoke?

Really nice. I checked by your blog. Well done and keep it up.

Agree with others. Beautiful series.
Some really awesome trees.
Those 'downers' behind your tent are massive.
Was it hazy from normal atmospherics or hint of smoke?

Really nice. I checked by your blog. Well done and keep it up.
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Yeah it was wild. I guess because of the prescribed fires, there were a lot of downed logs and cleared out forest floors. It was definitely hazy from smoke the entire time so our hike was a little difficult.

I was actually mad when taking some photos at the peak. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to dehaze the photos in post but they turned out okay.

Snapshooter

New to Mu-43
red_zergling,

What is your backcountry photo gear set up? When I went to Sequoia, it was the Sony A6000 (I didn’t have micro four-thirds then) with kit lens, in a small Lowepro case (Dashpoint 30) Velcroed to my pack’s shoulder strap at chest height for easy access while walking. I took the wonderful lightweight/small Ultrapod for self-portraits and nighttime astro pictures. This set up was wonderful. The low light lens I took was far too zoomed in (35mm), but I still got some great Milky Way pictures.

red_zergling,

What is your backcountry photo gear set up? When I went to Sequoia, it was the Sony A6000 (I didn’t have micro four-thirds then) with kit lens, in a small Lowepro case (Dashpoint 30) Velcroed to my pack’s shoulder strap at chest height for easy access while walking. I took the wonderful lightweight/small Ultrapod for self-portraits and nighttime astro pictures. This set up was wonderful. The low light lens I took was far too zoomed in (35mm), but I still got some great Milky Way pictures.
I bring a Lumix G9, Panosnic Leica 8-18 f/2.8-4.0, Olympus 45mm f/1.8, and me Benro Tripster 0 Vernon Fiber Tripod. If I'm going to be in water at any point I also bring an Olympus Tough TG-6.

I had some astro attempts but they don't turn out well. I am just bad at it and need more practice... But I feel so tired each night... 😴

I am eyeing the EM5III as an alternative, lighter weight camera at some point.

Snapshooter

New to Mu-43
Thank you for detailing your set up. Yes, my astro pictures are not nearly as nice as the ones I see posted online, but I think they’re great, because I took them myself.

Bob in Pittsburgh

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bob (who would have guessed?)
Thanks! I have only been editing photos for the past two years but I've been trying to work on an asthetic I like. 😄
I think you have nailed it, both on the photos and the processing. I am still trying to get a handle on what processing to do, so feel free to share your general thoughts on processing workflow.

I think you have nailed it, both on the photos and the processing. I am still trying to get a handle on what processing to do, so feel free to share your general thoughts on processing workflow.
For this set, I remember seeing things in a hazy blue ought so I focused on making sure I got the image in my head to show up on the screen. This time it was harder than usual as much of it was hazy - I had to practice with what kind of dehazing was acceptable to me. Once I figured that bit out there were a few things I did to every picture too.

Almost every photo is bracketed, with a set of 5 to 7 photos at +/- 1 exposure. I didn't always have the best light and could not afford to either wait until better light was available or return to the location later. The exception may be some candid photos with people. This allowed me the dynamic range to fixing some of the most extreme highlights and shadows from harsh lighting.

Next I made sure to bring down the highlights above the horizon. This was most difficult to get right with shots with trees tops cut by the composition. The gradient filter let me not only bring down the highlights but it also allowed me to apply extra dehaze to the top portion of the picture where it was worst. Finally I could bring back some of the warmth from the sky after cooling down the entirety of the image.

Next, for some of the textures I made sure to bump that up when a rock formation was a subject in the photo.

Processing is probably one of the favorite parts of photography for me, and I struggled to find my asthetic but I think I'm getting there.

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
Really beautiful shots, thanks for sharing! You mentioned shooting a bracketed set - I assume you mean you are then merging the entire stack of 5-7 photos with something like Lightroom or PS? Even on burst mode I sometimes worry about doing a bracket/HDR with moving water or leaves in the shot, but these have turned out very nicely.

Really beautiful shots, thanks for sharing! You mentioned shooting a bracketed set - I assume you mean you are then merging the entire stack of 5-7 photos with something like Lightroom or PS? Even on burst mode I sometimes worry about doing a bracket/HDR with moving water or leaves in the shot, but these have turned out very nicely.
I ran into this problem last time when I went backpacking. I realized it is much worse when I had a polarizer or an ND Filter. The forest shots where the trees are prominent subjects, I had to abandoned stacking for a few of those because of the movement of the leaves.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom