Sequence that Led up to a Favourite

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Robert Watcher, May 4, 2014.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

These shots are from several years ago - - - taken in San Jose, Costa Rica. The one image - that I consider a "favourite" of mine - - - has been displayed different times through the years since I took it.

While in general I am only interested in one final image where all components come together, I have begun to appreciate the sequence and process I sometimes use, that allows me to arrive at my final shot.

When I came upon this scene, I was most interested in getting a portrait of the blind street performer with the guitar. Firstly I grabbed an overview shot so that I wouldn't be pointing my camera right at him. Then I moved in for the closeup of him playing.

As I backed away with my zoom, I became more interested in the woman washing the ground with her bottle of water - and then the man standing behind - and finally noticed a person walking into the scene. I shot that one, and then miraculously - - - everything came together in the fourth shot, where positioning of the 3 main characters was great, and the woman walking through glanced to the side to view the action.

Just four shots taken within 42 seconds (#1-1:27:59, #2-1:28:28, #3-1:28:37, #4-1:28:41), and then I was contented and moved on.

20080328-DSC_3417-Edit.jpg
    Shot 1 of 4

20080328-DSC_3418-Edit-Edit.jpg
    Shot 2 of 4

20080328-DSC_3419-Edit.jpg
    Shot 3 of 4

20080328-DSC_3420-Edit-Edit.jpg
    MY FAVOURITE - Shot 4 of 4 - I knew I had it and moved on.

--------

• Like Like x 2
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Great shots and pp! I agree with the last one being THE shot

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.