1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sequence that Led up to a Favourite

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Robert Watcher, May 4, 2014.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

These shots are from several years ago - - - taken in San Jose, Costa Rica. The one image - that I consider a "favourite" of mine - - - has been displayed different times through the years since I took it.

While in general I am only interested in one final image where all components come together, I have begun to appreciate the sequence and process I sometimes use, that allows me to arrive at my final shot.

When I came upon this scene, I was most interested in getting a portrait of the blind street performer with the guitar. Firstly I grabbed an overview shot so that I wouldn't be pointing my camera right at him. Then I moved in for the closeup of him playing.

As I backed away with my zoom, I became more interested in the woman washing the ground with her bottle of water - and then the man standing behind - and finally noticed a person walking into the scene. I shot that one, and then miraculously - - - everything came together in the fourth shot, where positioning of the 3 main characters was great, and the woman walking through glanced to the side to view the action.

Just four shots taken within 42 seconds (#1-1:27:59, #2-1:28:28, #3-1:28:37, #4-1:28:41), and then I was contented and moved on.

20080328-DSC_3417-Edit.
    Shot 1 of 4

20080328-DSC_3418-Edit-Edit.
    Shot 2 of 4

20080328-DSC_3419-Edit.
    Shot 3 of 4

20080328-DSC_3420-Edit-Edit.
    MY FAVOURITE - Shot 4 of 4 - I knew I had it and moved on.

--------

• Like Like x 2
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Great shots and pp! I agree with the last one being THE shot

• Like Like x 1