Sensor Gel Stick, have you ever seen this?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dav1dz, Feb 4, 2014.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    No, but probably only a good solution for easily-removed dust - which the Oly sensor shaker does pretty well. Harder-to-shift marks (e.g. dried water drops) will need a wet clean.

However you clean a sensor with IBIS, you need to ensure the camera is off and that you don't apply too much pressure. Some will tell you it do can't be done at all. Personally, I've cleaned my cameras a few times with no adverse results.
  3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    There seemed to be a fair bit of sticking to the filter in the trial, and at one point I thought I saw it lift off the table. It appears to be a sticky gel, and I for one would be worried about dislodging the IBIS Olympus sensor. You'd be a bit sick if the gel stick came away with the sensor attached!
  4. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Exactly! I'd not be inclined to do any Olympus OM-D sensor cleaning myself. I'm not seeing any problems after almost a year, so I'd be inclined to use Olympus for a cleaning if/when I need one.

Even for "regular" sensors, I'd not be an early adopter. It all looks and sounds good, but I'd rather learn of any issues on someone else's dime.