1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sensor cleaning

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by doogie, Jul 5, 2016.

1. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Just bought a second hand EPL7, unfortunately it has a large smudge on the sensor.

What are my options, I've heard it has to be sent to Olympus ideally?

Local shop quoted me £45.

2. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I cleaned my EM10 myself cost approx. £25 for the kit. I Was very careful and the IBIS cradle rattled as I wiped the sensor, but all was good and well happy now.

3. griffljg

griffljg Mu-43 Regular

Mar 7, 2016
    Brisbane, QLD, Australia
    Larry Griffiths
    The anti-dust mechanism on Olympus cameras appears to work better than that of others and so I have never needed to have the sensors of my Olympus cameras cleaned.

However, the sensor on my Canon EOS 6D attracts dust and needs to be cleaned at least once per year.

There is a man who does the rounds of camera shops in Brisbane and on the Gold Coast charging $100 to clean a sensor while you wait. He does an excellent job.

AUD100 currently converts to about £57. From where I am sitting, I would say that your local shop's quote looks fair.

4. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Not sure if it is true, but I have read that turning the camera on while cleaning the sensor reduces the cradle rattle. did you have the camera off or on? Just interested to know for when I have to clean mine sometime in the future.

Regards

5. Plumballs

Plumballs Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 11, 2014
    Whitchurch, Hampshire
    Phil
    I had it off and swept it with smooth, soft and even pressured motion. I was pooping myself and probably would not of had the bottle to give it a go if it was not covered under a 3 year insurance plan.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've cleaned the sensors on my E-M1 and E-M5 several times with no negative effects. I've always done them with the camera turned off and lying flat. I use Sensorswabs and Eclipse fluid.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Ben Russell

Ben Russell New to Mu-43

Dec 15, 2015
    West Cork, Ireland
    Ben Russell
    Happy to say the Oly sensor cleaning has never let me down over 68k shots. Outstanding. Best of luck with yours whichever route you choose.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    Sensor swabs and ellipse fluid is how I do it as well. I recently bought cheap moist swabs off ebay from china. They left a residue on my sensor that was visible in the photos at smaller apertures!

Luckily a once over with some good old ellipse fluid and a swab cleared it up again. Sensor cleaning fluid is not a thing to try to cut corners on.

9. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    I had to clean a sensor once, when a used Olympus camera arrived with bits of styrofoam stuck all over its sensor. I cleaned the sensor with a Photographic Solutions Sensor Swab and a few drops of the company's Eclipse solution.

Be sure to get swabs of the correct size, which is Sensor Swab Type 2, 17mm wide. That size matches the width of a Micro Four Thirds sensor.

Each swab should be used for only one round trip on the sensor, wiping down then up in a continuous motion, so that both sides of the swab are used. If you use a swab that already wiped a sensor, the swab could deposit dirt back onto the sensor, or drag particles across the sensor and scratch it.

10. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    That's exactly the same brand cleaning kit I've just bought, with size 2 swabs.

Thanks for the tip.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's not that fragile. You are touching glass that that sensor sits under. No more fragile than cleaning one of your lenses. A pre-moistened lens wipe and some care will do the trick. That's essentially all a "Sensor swab" is anyway. Like with lenses, just make sure you softly brush or blow any dust or debris off first, because that's what will scratch it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Photographic Solutions has a video about how to use Sensor Swabs. The video says to use a DSLR's "cleaning mode," but you can just leave a mirrorless camera turned off.

13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Wasn't there a recent post in another thread where somebody mentioned that Olympus uses some type of anti-static coating on top of the sensor after a cleaning? I was surprised to read it, and any confirmation to the claim would be good information to know.

--Ken

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Cleaned the sensor it wasn't too daunting actually, with camera switched off. Although I ended to using all 4 swabs to clean it, had a stubborn grease mark. Still cheaper than getting it professionally cleaned though.

Didn't want to risk using the same swab more than once, just in case it scratched it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Indeed, or just smeared some of the grease back elsewhere

17. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I stick with Photographic Solutions sensor swabs and Eclipse solution as well. Note that Photgraphic Solutions no longer guarantees their product if you reuse their plastic swabs with Pec Pads. Their swabs are essentially covered with Pec Pads, but I guess that's how those overpriced swabs get sold. I reuse with Pec Pads anyway - I typically go through a few pads each time I clean one sensor.

Olympus sensors require a gentler touch due to the suspended sensor mechanism. Just pass the swab lightly over the cover glass. If it doesn't come off you probably want it cleaned by the service center.

18. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    About the only feature the Fuji X-E2 has that I wish the Panasonic GX-7 had is the menu option to enable automatic sensor cleaning.

19. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    Same swabs and fluid I used. Threw the swabs away didn't realise they could be reused. I was amazed how much the swabs cost. A kit with 4 swabs and a small bottle of fluid was £22, I used all 4 on one sensor now I just have fluid left.

I suppose £22 is half the price it was going to cost me to get it cleaned professionally, so can't complain.

20. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    This is part of the oral history of Olympus, passed on via forums, but has never been confirmed in an owners manual or on an Olympus website, as far as I know. Usually the source is said to be an Olympus tech.

Maybe they really do this, but by choice of the cleaning fluid. Some of the cleaning solutions you can buy claim to have anti-static agents. Maybe they all do, by default.

I don't hesitate to clean a sensor if it's showing dust in my pictures. They don't seem to become more dust prone afterwards, as sensor cleaning is a rare event for me. A camera might need it every other year.

• Like Like x 1