Sensor cleaning kit recommendations

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I live in the middle of nowhere here in France. My nearest camera shop is some way away, and as it is harvest season I find myself with some dust on my sensor that needs removing. Can anyone recommend a cleaning kit that's available from Amazon UK or FR? There seem to be a myriad of options but would happily go with something someone else has used with satisfaction.

Thanks in advance to anyone who chips in....

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
The Eclipse solution and the sensor swabs (be sure to get the right size for your particular sensor).

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This kit is much like what I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Tool...srs=1887359031&ie=UTF8&qid=1563716739&sr=8-10

I favor the Eclipse fluid as it dries rapidly without spotting as some that contain more water and streak. The Eclipse may have air shipping concerns being flammable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph...hic+solutions&qid=1563716277&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Pec-Pads are for blotting the swab of excess fluid (2-3 drops), or as a lens cleaning tissue.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Photograph...KJFM79PTPYQ&psc=1&refRID=EPKZVGS43KJFM79PTPYQ

Some sort of lighted loupe might help you too. I have a Visible Dust one, but the quality is pretty cheap, and grossly over-priced imho, as the plastic and rubberized hard case melted into a sticky goo over time so it resides in a baggie now and case was trashed. This seems to be a good loupe for this sort of stuff:

https://www.cameracal.co.uk/sensor-cleaning/the-best-sensor-cleaning-loupe/

Same happened with the Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly brush spinner as well (Okay, it's over-priced too, and the switch on mine is now problematic.). You you could buy a makeup brush spinner for a lot less and better quality to do the same thing.

ToxicTabasco

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ToxicTabasco
It all depends on what you're comfortable using. There are various types of sensor cleaning tools. I prefer the gel tip pens. Made by various manufacturers in various sizes. They do a good job on hard to remove specks. I use the blower for most dust on sensor. But on occasion, there is the stubborn dust speck that is huge and will not be gone. That's where the gel stick pen does a good job. Here's a short video I did using it on a IBIS camera.
Sensor cleaning with gel stick

Baenwort

Strictly Amateur
I guess I've been lucky with my m4/3 cameras as since they started the sensor cleaning on Olympus bodies I haven't had a dust speck stick. I will keep a air rocket for general use and on sensor use if I'm too impatient to wait for the sensor to clean itself.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It all depends on what you're comfortable using. There are various types of sensor cleaning tools. I prefer the gel tip pens. Made by various manufacturers in various sizes. They do a good job on hard to remove specks. I use the blower for most dust on sensor. But on occasion, there is the stubborn dust speck that is huge and will not be gone. That's where the gel stick pen does a good job. Here's a short video I did using it on a IBIS camera.
Sensor cleaning with gel stick

Be careful with those gel sticks!

Mine left marks on the sensor like the first guy's photo in the DPR post here: Sensor damage from Sensor Gel Stick

Mine got sticker in time so now I just use it to pluck out any lint or hairs that stick to the black flock paper in the Nikon mirror box. Given I often shoot in the desert and the afternoon wind blows up fine silt, I wouldn't want that sandy stuff stuck on a gel pen tip to later become a sensor filter scratcher.

Forgot to mention, the spinning Arctic Butterfly can pick up sundry shutter and mirror box lube out of a DSLR with a mirror and smear the sensor. It's a big pita to clean magenta-colored oil smears off the sensor and can take alot of wet cleans to get rid of the smears. Have to wash the brush in acetone or something to de-oil it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom