1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sensibly priced optical viewfinder.

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by anthonyrc, Apr 14, 2013.

1. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Some news for anyone looking for optical viewfinders to match their 28-40mm equivalent FL prime lenses. I'm a week or so away from having full production prototypes in my hands. Working on tooling/production costs but the aim is to make them much more affordable than, (and superior performance to), OEM options.

Tony

2. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    A bit of focus group opinion sought. I'm pondering on whether to incorporate a rubber eyecup in the product, for comfort but also to keep the eyeline back to keep noses off touch screens, an issue on GF2s in particular which suffer from not being able to turn off focus point touch control. Any views?

Tony

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Will these be fixed or zoom or both?

4. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Can you give us a basic description? It would be easier for us to provide feedback then.

I love optical viewfinders, for me I prefer larger ones with bright lines (think Ricoh GV-1 vs. GV-2). I don't keep them mounted permanently so I prefer large view over compact size, although opinions differ on this.

A rubber eyecup is not essential to me, perhaps this could be an optional add-on?

Good luck with your venture!!

5. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Initially the viewfinder will be fixed with a choice of focal lengths available of 28mm or 35 or 40. A future zoom model would depend on the success of the prime lens finders and feedback on demand for a zoom.

Tony

6. anthonyrc

anthonyrc Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks for that.

The project came about as I wanted to have optical finders for myself but found that the options were rather limited and the prices crazy. Until I'm able to gauge the level of unsatisfied demand I will be producing small batches initially and because of this viewfinder casings will be CNC machined in Aluminium alloy there is some scope for tweaking design as things go along.

Big and bright is definitely where I'm coming from, but I can easily adapt to tiny and dark if that is what the market wants.:smile:

Tony

7. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    Great, can't wait to see your prototypes!

8. Judderman62

Judderman62 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 24, 2013
    Greater Manchester
    Mike
    sounds an intriguing undertaking - good luck with it :)