sending photos via email

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by DaveyA, Nov 19, 2013.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I have one or two photos that I would like to send as email attatchments. The original files are about 7.5mb, what size should I reduce them to? I am using LR3. Alternatively, Thunderbird is prompting me to use a filelink sharing service. I just wondered what is the best idea, simply reduce the size of the photos or use this filelink service?
  2. lrlebron

lrlebron Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 8, 2013
    Huntsville, AL
    Luis R. Lebron
    It depends. If you expect the recipient to print the pictures then I would use a file sharing service so they can download the originals. If the recipient just want to view them or share them on the web then something like 1024 x 768 works fine.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    It really depends on what you expect the recipient to do with them once they receive them

if they are just going to look at them on the screen, then reducing them down to a JPEG thats 1000 pixels or so on the longest side may be enough

If they plan to print them out to say 10x8 you want to be looking at a jpeg thats equivalent of 300 pixels per inch... so approx 3000 x 2400 pixels

4. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I use "WeTransfer." It's free and pretty easy.
  5. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    They aren't for printing, simply for viewing on screen so I will take your advice and reduce them to the size you suggest.
    Thank you both for your help

6. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I'll check that out as well Roger, it might be handy sometime.