1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sending my E-PM1 for repair, should I remove the skin?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DeoreDX, May 23, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Sending my E-PM1 for repair, should I remove the skin? [Update]

I have an Aki Asahi on my E-PM1. It is doing the thing where it loses time and date when you remove the battery. Should I pull the Aki Asahi off before I send it in? I'm guessing I probably should, but it is basically like throwing away a $32 bill when I do with the Aki Asahi and the Flipbac G4 mounted on it.

2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    i hade a cheapo ebay wriststrap, but the repair guy said that it's better to remove it, in case they can't repair it, or it gets lost (it's a statistic) so better take it off...

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I had to send my EPM1for this repair, as they didn't completely fix it first time. I removed my Flipbac G4 grip the first time but left it installed the second time, as I wasn't sure its adhesive would survive another remove & reinstall. If skin can survive a removal/reinstall, I'd take it off, otherwise no. My camera returned with grip still in place.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think this is a pretty simple repair. I don't think I would take it off if it were me, though I always take off everything that's "removable".

5. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Yes, they replace the circuit board, set language and serial number then update firmware. Mine went back a second time because they'd forgotten to set serial number, so it was all zeros. :eek:

--
    Sent from my Kindle Fire HD. Please pardon my brevity!

6. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'd leave it on. If you take it off, then it's off for sure. If you leave it on, there's a chance they may not take it off! :)

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If it's something that can get lost, remove it...only send in the camera. I probably wouldn't even send the battery.

If it's a stick-on skin, it may cover screws that have to be accessed.

Also they may just do a body swap if it's too much to repair locally.

8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't see the point in taking the skin off, since at least in my experience, those are a "one time" sort of thing. I think that even if you were able to remove it intact and re-apply it when the camera comes back it will never stick as well the second time.

Given that, I'd probably leave it on. If it needs to be removed to perform the repair, the technician should be able to remove it. If not, then you'll "save" the $30 it would cost to replace it.

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    For the US:
    - the instructions explicitly state to not send in the battery unless the problem has to do with the battery.

- Olympus does not do the repairs, they use a 3rd party repair company. You're not going to get a swapped body.

Canada, lucky for Canadians, is not the US.

10. myadidas

myadidas Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2013
    Viet Nam
    TuanAnh.Do
    please, help me manual iso 100 on EPM1, thank you so much

11. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    My E-PM1 came back fixed. They left the skin on and didn't damage it during the repair.

12. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Good news! Thanks for closing the loop on this.