1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Send money with Gmail!

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Promit, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I don't know about you guys, but I hate PayPal. !@#$ those guys. Scummy company with horrible customer service. There is Amazon Payments as a competitor but Amazon forgot to tell anyone it exists. So I was pretty thrilled when I saw this:
    Google Wallet
    So here's the deal: I now have the ability to invite anyone to Google Wallet/Gmail by sending them a penny. It's really simple:
    1) Post here that you're interested, and PM me your gmail address.
    2) I will send you a penny, which will add send-money to your gmail account.
    3) Update your post. This is to avoid a logistical headache, because...
    4) Don't hog your pennies, but continue to invite people here and elsewhere.
    5) (Optional) Stop using PP Gift :rolleyes:

:2thumbs:

2. maj13

maj13 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2012
    I'm in-- sending PM. Thanks for the offer.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I scanned the Google Wallet info, and Amazon Payments previously. I don't see anything that protects me as a buyer like PayPal does. Am I missing it?

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    lol. I feel about Google the way you might feel about paypal. Google is evil and tracking everything we do. They probably know more about us than the NSA!

I keep as far away from Google as possible!

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Google is strictly gift payments unless you're registered as a merchant (which I assume is a PITA). Amazon is not clear to me, as the Send Money option has a "Goods" option but they may want you to have a merchant account as well. A few other competitors like Visa are similar. So for the time being this is only a replacement for PP Gift.

I'm a little stunned that no company has bothered to offer the same service PayPal does.

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Thx Promit, I'm interested! Sending PM. Edit: Penny received & claimed. Thx Promit. I guess this means I can invite others now. Anyone interested, please PM me. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting - I'm going to take a closer look at this. :cool:

8. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    +1

9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    You are right on. And, If you keep up with Fox News, you will be aware that we are being squeezed out of every normal activity, if we don't want Big BRO to collect the specifics of our every activity. I'm not some wacko, trying to get away with something ugly, but I am a very private person (read hermit wanabe :smile:). Nor am I a fear monger. But, I do see something coming, that most of will not like. Just saying....:eek:

10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    This is all a piece of our evolving world. Like it or not ... that is the direction we are moving, every "public" thing we do will be monitored. Sorta like film, some photogs have fiercely resisted moving to digital ... but the world is evolving, as time marches on film is becoming harder and harder to find until film, for all intents and purpose, will no longer exists. Similar with privacy ...

I have a joint bank account with my youngest daughter who is in college. Makes it easy get monies out of my pocket into her pocket. The bank has a record of every transaction. For some reason I trust the bank, (yes the bank), more than I trust Google. (I have zero trust in banks.) I don't believe the bank will do anything more than maintain banking records. I don't have that trust in Google.

While I haven't a fear of exposing my financial transactions I also feel that it is nobody else's business. (The exception being my gun running business in Chiapas, but that's a cash operation.)

Today I shall decline, but tomorrow I will probably cave, because the world is evolving and one can only resist the tides of change for so long.

Gary

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Unless you guys are running a private mail server, you're being tracked. Even then, you're trusting your server host who themselves have physical access to your server and network infrastructure. Nevermind the recent revelations about the extent of government access. It's a messy topic, but it's unreasonable and comical to somehow single out Google as a bad thing when every provider is in exactly the same boat.

On the subject of trust, this is worth reading:
    https://www.schneier.com/essay-412.html

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It's all being tracked, but that's only step one. Step two is big data mining, and that's just starting.

It's all fun when used for good (or at least benign) purposes, but once the infrastructure is set up, it becomes far more enticing for nefarious folks to seize and then easier to hold power. It's amazing what an uproar watergate tapes caused, but then, no one was getting discounts on electronics. Sad that we aren't more angry about all this. (typed on iPhone, so truncated)

13. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Everything is being tracked, but which parties are more or less trustworthy? Google has gotten away from their roots, and their old motto "don't be evil." Microsoft was once the "evil empire" in the computer world, and probably still is evil to some extent, but Google is not less so anymore, IMO. I don't trust Google any more than I do the US government, or Microsoft. Google Wallet isn't ever going anywhere near my wallet (or my computer, or my phone).

14. SteveG

SteveG Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2013
    NJ
    PM sent! Thanks!

EDIT: Received! Thanks. Happy to pass along to others...

15. dronjon

dronjon New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Austin
    pennies!

Hey Promit,

I'm interested in trying out the pay with gmail feature. I'll send you a pm.

Thanks!:smile:

EDIT: Got it! Thanks so much!

16. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    i'm interested, PM on the way

[edit] got it, thanks!