semi macro on the 45mm F 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by manju69, Nov 25, 2011.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Hi, I'd love to get a wee bit closer at times than the native lenses allow and don't always want to carry my legacy macro. I was wondering about a travel option in the way of a close up filter for the 45mm. I saw somewhere here a mention of fitting a raynox 150 or 250 to this lens.

What increase in magnification would you get with these?

Like wise with the olympus "macro" lens MCON-P01 (which i read also fits this lens) Has anyone tried that?

The raynox site makes it hard to find the right adapter to fit to the 37mm thread - any idea how to work that out?

This is just for travel and play not serious macro work - thanks in advance

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This review features images taken with and without MCON-P01.

3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Raynox 150 and 250 have a 43mm thread and come with a spring-loaded "universal" adapter for 52-67mm, not so universal. You would need a 43-37mm stepping ring. The DCR-150 is a 4.8 diopter which will get "quite a bit closer".

You might also consider the Marumi achromats. The DHG-330 is a +3 diopter, the DHG-550 is +5, about equivalent to the DCR-150. I think the smallest thread they have is 52mm, so a stepping ring is still required.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...cro+330&rh=i:aps,k:marumi+dhg+macro+330&ajr=0

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would certainly trust the Olympus MCON over the Raynox!

5. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Why is that?

Check out these, by Danny (nzmacro on dpreview): http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro/

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'm not quite up to speed on these screw-in macro adapters. Any idea what sort of a magnification a +3 or +5 would give on the 45/1.8?

Thanks,

DH

7. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Some real ballpark estimates.
    +3 on a 45mm focused to infinity about a 6 inch object across the long edge of the frame down to about a 2.5-3 inch object at closest focus.

For the +5 from about 4 inches across to 2 inches.

If you also have a longer lens (40-150 or 45-200 for example) to use with the diopter you'll get much closer.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Great, thanks!

3 inches -> ~.47x in 35mm terms

That sounds pretty good to me.

DH

9. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Lovely shots and certainly good enough for me - especially as i have the 45-200 as well

10. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The Raynox diopters will vignette as you zoom out toward 45mm. I'm not sure how far you can go w/o vignetting.

11. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    I have both 45/1.8 and MCON, and you can see 100%crops from minimal distance in my gallery. Because object is very common, you'll easily get an idea of magnification gained and overall quality. I'd say MCON is somewhat limiting the performance of the lens but works well for $60 paid.

Extreme corners are slightly soft, and some front/back coloring is added. Not much to complain.

• Like Like x 1
  12. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Can you use any step down ring? or are there specific ones for raynox or Marumi - I assume not....but just wanted to check.

13. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks to those who replied - very helpful as always! It looks like it is possible to have an easy travel macro option.

14. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Any generic stepping ring should be fine.

15. AbsolutKev

AbsolutKev Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Johor, malaysia
    How bout close up filter with the help of step up ring? Im curious to know myself.. hmmm... It sure saves me money vs buying a mocro lens. I may consider gettin the bnw +10 52mm n a step up ring frm 37-52...

16. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I'd recommend going with an achromat for any close-up diopter, but especially for one as strong as +10. The B+W is a single element. This Opteka 10x High Definition II Professional Macro Lens for Digital SLR Cameras is pretty inexpensive, but I haven't seen samples from it.

For +10 you could also use a reversed 100mm lens on the front of your lens. A camera lens may be too heavy to use easily, but they're usually highly corrected. I've used enlarger lenses as well, but they are more likely to vignette because of they're smaller diameter.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  17. AbsolutKev

AbsolutKev Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Johor, malaysia
    Thanks for the reference! Cheers bro!