SEMA-1 and what lavalier?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by KBeezie, Oct 16, 2012.

1. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I'm considering the SEMA-1 adapter (*really* wish olympus put either a jack in the side or a secondary accessory port on the side... cuz seriously only being able to use certain stuff one at a time is meh, no flash and EVF at same time, blah).

Though I'm curious what's a good lavalier to go with it if the quality of the provided mic attachment isn't as good? Can I rig something like a boom mic on a flash bracket to it?

2. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    You can hook pretty much any mic with a 3.5mm (1/8 inch) plug, but you will get much better results with either a self (battery) powered mic or a mic + battery box or preamp combo. If you tell us what you are planning to record I might have some more specific mic recommendations.

3. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Only two particular things come to mind, events in general where it would be nice to have an omnidirectional capture but without the "woosh woosh" interference from wind. And the other would be simply narration/interviewing (so either lavalier on the person I guess, or directional mic, I wonder if they make wireless -> 3.5mm at the receiver end).

4. Paul Amyes

Paul Amyes Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Hobart, Tasmania
    I use the Rode Video mic pro as my directional mic which if I'm using my camera handheld I mount to the camera via a cheap flash bracket because the SEMA already occupies the hotshoe :frown: or I often plug a Zoom H2n into the camera and use that when I want more control over the audio.

If you're looking for a wireless lav with 3.5mm stereo jack then the Sony UWP-V1 Wireless Lavalier ENG Microphone Package is probably the most affordable and effective solution.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use a cheap Dynex video bracket from Futureshop or Best Buy because it's very compact, and because it has two shoes - one for a microphone and another for an LED light array.

6. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing

That's why I was thinking they need to make some kind of accessory port cable if anything(something that snaps in like an L bracket.) But yea I got a straight bar bracket that came with one of my LED lights, I can replace the shoe area with a dual shoe if I had to, but a dual-flash bracket will probably be more effective in my case.

thanks.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is the one I use for my travel bag. It's not as comfortable as the other flash brackets I use (like the Stroboframe in the studio or the other one in my backpack), but it is the most compact I have and I like it because of the two shoes. It was made for video, to mount an LED array + microphone. I also use it for club photography to mount an LED array with my flash. The LED array allows me to easily focus and compose the shot in the dark, then the flash fills the light for the capture.

Dynex™ - Video Accessory Bracket for Most Cameras and Camcorders - DX-VIDBKT - Best Buy

8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What is your budget on a lav? The cheap ones often have a lot of noise! and sometimes pick up other transmissions on the same or similar frequency range. For sure get a mic that has at least 2 channels just in case there is interference on the other. I work at a church as an audio/video tech so I have access to some decent equipment. For portable lavs we use the Sennheiser G3 series units. They work great! They run on simple AA batteries but provide hours of use. The receiver has a built in hotshoe mount. It is XLR out but they make adaptors. A flash bracket would be a good way to mount the receiver. The bad thing is they are a bit on the pricey side.

Sennheiser EW112-p G3 Camera Mount Wireless Microphone

I have used some of the Azden shotgun mics and they are good products at a great price. Azden has an ENG lav kit for $150. It has 2 channels but it uses 9 volt batteries{AAs are cheaper and easier to find in a pinch}.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3656-REG/Azden_WLX_PRO_WLX_Pro_Wireless_Lavalier.html

9. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    :p seems like when I get to the point of spending 600$ on the mics that's about the time I should be upgrading to a dedicated video camera.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:biggrin: That's true but a good video camera can run into some big bucks too. At the church we are looking to get 2 of the Pany Af100s which have a retail price of $4500 each. Of coarse we shoot video every week and we are looking to start package them up and sell so we need the quality.

Do consider that Azden setup or similar from other respected companies. You might find a used one for $50-$75 on ebay if the $150 is too high.

11. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Reviving an old thread just because I already created a thread and I got one.

... but I must be cursed or something cuz right out of the box the left mic plastic casing is cracked on both sides.

8XEjR07l.

0kbyok6l.

I do plan on replacing the mic anyways with a entry level rode one (like maybe the VideoMicro), but would be nice to keep the oly around for like maybe an interview clip on or something if I wasn't worried about it's durability. Almost seems like it happened prior to painting in the factory.

I suppose I could always get some heat-shrink tubing in red and blue and just shrink it on over both spots for consistency just to sort of future-proof it from cracking further.

The microphone does seem to be a bit clearer on audio, but it seems to pick up handling noises much easier than the built in one. The "wind reduction" setting in the custom menu does not appear to be applied when using the SEMA-1. Though I have not tried to use it off the camera as of yet, waiting to get some other accessories before doing anything heavier in usage.