Selling your services

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zpierce, Apr 19, 2011.

1. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was just approached by an acquaintance that liked my recent race photos and asked if I'd be willing to shoot her daughter's graduation announcement photo and how much do I charge.

I've never charged for anything or done an official gig like this. This person is very laid back and this would probably be an easy way to dip my toe in. I have no aspirations of changing careers, but if I could make the occasional buck on the side to offset some of the cost of this hobby, that'd be great.

Question is, how much do people typically charge for something like this? I was thinking of just spending an hour at the local park in the evening and processing as many decent images as I could get for her to choose from.

I'd certainly give her a good deal being that I'm a novice and she's an acquaintance. I was thinking something like half the going rate, but can anyone give me an idea of what that might be? Off the top of my head, I was thinking something around $100, but I dunno if that's too low or too high.

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    In times of the economy the way it is and the fact that your dealing with someone you know, your figure is reasonable.
    Remember, the back time is always longer than the shoot time.
    Back time is your processing time.

You won't get rich but you'll make a friend.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    A pro photographer who happened to be a friend gave us a discounted rate of $100 for 30 minutes. He did not process any of the images, just gave them to me on disc. So I think your figure is reasonable.
    • Like Like x 1