Selling video camera and OMD for a Panasonic GH3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by homebrewdude, Feb 7, 2014.

1. homebrewdude

homebrewdude Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Video camera does not get used that much Panasonic TM900
    OMD is a bit frustrating due to small size and large hands.
    Shooting is ok, but changing settings in the menus is not fun...

I like knobs and switches?
    Sell them both and switch to a GH3?
    How easy is the video mode? Wife can handle it for the kids?
    Not sure about the lenses I have - they are loud on the focus
    14mm 20mm

Or maybe a Fuji XE-2 for the stills and keep the TM900 camcorder?

Thoughts?

2. Manu-4Vendetta

Manu-4Vendetta Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Dominican Republic
    Video professional or for family and record any moments? GX7 can be a great option, iits good photo still camera with a great sensor and the quality of video its incredible, the issue is dont have external microphone conecction.

3. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    Biggest problem we always had with using cameras for family video is the stabilization issue. Recent camcorders do a better job, in particular the BOSS stabilization that is not available even in Sony cameras and is only in certain Sony camcorders. The entire lens floats. Cameras have better image quality due to sensor size, but for sloppily shot video (which is most of the time I'm with my kids and I am as much part of the video as I am shooting it), I prefer a Sony camcorder.

But if the situation permits, and I can set up properly with a tripod or video monopod or even handheld (but I'm unlikely to have to move), I do prefer video on a camera for the IQ and DOF.

I'd imagine the E-M5 is a nice compromise for family stuff, decent stabilized video and good stills. The GX7 has 2 axis stabilization so maybe that would work for you too.

4. Lisandra

Lisandra Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Ive had the GH3, GH2, EM5, EM1 and others. The GH3 video is indeed visibly better than the OMD. And ergonomically is much more comfortable too. If you plan to edit the video even a tiny bit, the only footage that will hold (looking good) is the GH3s. Lots of shadow room. Theres a ton of video control in there for good measure, from exposure to sound. I know A LOT of people wont agree, but stabilization is not a MUST. If it is native pana zooms have it and it works great. In video you certainly wont notice 5 vs 3 or even 2 axis stabilization. Plus a GH3 with 2 batteries will last what seems like forever. The omd even with the grip and 2 batteries will not last half the time a GH3 does. We did a fashion walk video shoot with the OMD on a tripod and the GH3 hand held for close ups. When the GH3 flashed that the 1st battery was almost dead, we went to check the OMD and it had already powered down on its own. With 2 batteries.

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I've had a Panasonic TM900 and LX7 - I was seduced into buying Panasonic by the great sounding video specs - but IMHO the "low video spec" Olympus E-P5, E-M5 and E-M1 are superior video wise for hand held family video because only Olympus had 5 axis image stabilization AND Olympus jpeg colors are carried over into Olympus video footage. E-P5, E-M5 and E-M1 all have refined and rich sounding built in audio too.

To shoot good family video with the GH3 you need all that bulky and cumbersome videographer gear like fluid head tripod, etc.