1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Selling prints/digital...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BAXTING, May 12, 2014.

1. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Well to be honest I've recently been taking more pictures than ever, but I am suddenly not satisfied with most of the results so I have not been uploading/sharing as often. While browsing flickr and checking recent activity I noticed I have an email message from someone who would like to buy some of my photos for their website. Just looking for some advice of what I should/should not do and how to proceed with something like this.

Thanks!

B

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I would first find out who the buyer is, how the photos are to be used, what conditions they want to impose (if any), what size are they after etc. If it's a genuine enquiry, then they would be quite open as to the use, exclusive rights etc, your rights, acknowledgements, price and so on. There are a lot of articles on the web by professional photographers that frequently get such requests, merely for them to be of the ilk: 'We want it for free, but you'll get great promotion.' At the end of the day, it's what you think the shots are worth, especially considering how they may be used. It would be slightly annoying if you effectively gave away the rights to photographs, only to find them being used in some nationwide advertising for which the advertising company was paid a bundle.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    Thanks for your input, great advice! I was offered a minimum dollar amount per photo but yes I am more concerned how the photos will be used. From what I understand it is for a photography website, but I am waiting to hear back.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Check it out as fully as you can, there are a lot of advertising and the like companies trying to scam photographers for good shots and paying next to nothing by hiding their true intent. It's especially surprising that a photography site would want to pay for someone else's photography. Do a bit of Googling with what info you have and then some more when they provide additional information.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Depending on pricing, it may be worth contacting a local copyright lawyer, and seeing what they would charge for a basic Q&A session, to make sure you are covered.

• Like Like x 1