selling on eBay - RANT

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by flipmack, Oct 6, 2013.

1. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I forgot how much I loathe selling on eBay.

I just sold my Vivitar 55/2.8 macro and FD-m4/3 adapter on eBay (not much interest for it here, so eBay was my last resort).

Listing had no fees, but the following fees will be applied:

1. Paypal Fee of 4.4% (!!!!)
    2. eBay Final Value Fee of 10%
    3. Shipping Fee (my cost, $10)

Anyway, I got an offer which was $10 less than my buy-it-now price, but I went ahead and took it. I don't know if it was a mistake...because this is what it broke down to:

Final price: $60.00
    Final value fee: ($6.00)
    paypal fee: (~$4.00)
    shipping fee: ($10.00)

Total fees: ($20.00)
    Total income: $40.00

That's half of what it's worth...AND I don't get access to my funds for a couple of weeks.

mind = blown

mind_blown.

Honestly, I don't think selling on eBay makes sense anymore. This is officially the last time I will sell on eBay...and I've been using eBay for 13 years.

/rant

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Aside from shipping (which is variable), it works out to ~$8 worth of fees for a $60 item. At your buy-it-now price, you could expect to get ~60. Shipping shouldn't figure into your value deductions, as it is a seperate expense, and charged differently. So really, when you accepted the $60 offer, you knew it was only $50 worth of value for you, before ebay fees.

Not saying eBay is worth it (never sell anything on there if I can help it), just a matter of knowing what you want out of an item.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    EBay sucks donkey balls for small sellers. It's tailored to big sellers who sell in mass quantities now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    That's a true statement - shipping is not a fee per se, but it is still a cost that I typically factor in to a transaction. The lowest I was going to let it go for was $50 which was considerably less than my purchase price, but still of some value.

As an infrequent seller, I've come to expect the same relatively fee-free experience that I get from here and other user forums.

Though I did get a larger potential market through eBay, I don't think I'm doing it anymore.

5. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    I stopped selling on eBay years ago. eBay is much better for buyers than sellers (unless you are a high-volume seller).

6. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Not to mention the fact that for some reason known only to ebay, a seller can't leave negative feedback against a bad buyer. Since ebay adopted that stupid procedure my non-paying bidders numbers went way, way up. It encourages bidders to bid like crazy with no intention of buying because there is no recourse. And its' conflict resolution process is slow and completely unhelpful. ebay sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I always try to go with Craigslist if I can. I like dealing with people in person and also like not having to deal with the extra fees.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Unfortunately, as much as I dislike ebay's fees, I have found that I generally can command a higher selling price on ebay than I can on the Buy/Sell forum here, and usually, that is by enough to cover the difference in fees.

The last several m4/3-specific things I sold on ebay, I sold at prices higher than they went unsold for here, and that difference covered the ebay 10% and the shipping costs, which I'd have eaten had I sold them here.

9. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Having moved from FF to MFT and now back to FF, I can say that I think that's more of a problem with MFT than it is with more popular camera gear. I had a lot of trouble selling my MFT gear when I moved back to FF, but Canon/Nikon gear has no trouble selling. In fact I've never lost money from buying/selling DSLR gear, but I certainly did with MFT.

For some reason it just seems like MFT gear doesn't have quite as good resale value...perhaps because the market for them is much smaller.

10. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ebay is a nightmare for sellers

Ebay has become a total nuisance in the last few years. They charge 10% of total value. The best thing is they don't have to store , pack and ship the item:frown::frown:

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    This ^^^ Prices are often significantly higher on eBay than on B/S/T fora or on Craigslist. Sure, the fees are higher, but it often works out higher on a net basis.

• Like Like x 1
  12. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Agree. They have effectively told low volume sellers to piss off. I heard it loud and clear and sell most stuff on amazon.

13. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    True..ebay has really gone downhill in the past 5 or so years. Not only do they take 10% on final sale price, they now take 10% on the shipping fees too!
    Ridiculous.

It's mostly tailored to cheap chinese sellers and I wonder how they make money on some items with shipping included. I just ordered some flash feet and it was like $2 w/shipping. They can't be clearing anything on that.

That said, it is a decent place of last resort to sell camera equipment. I do usually command pretty good prices for stuff if I sell. You just have to have a little patience and know what you're doing. Craigslist is full of lowballers and is tough sell for M43, but is my first choice. Though I have gotten a few lenses on there.

I have to laugh when I see people trying to list their E500s and kit lenses for 2007 MSRP pricing.

• Like Like x 2
  14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I see more of that nonsense on Craigslist. Actually, what dominates Craigslist in San Diego is folks trying to sell their film SLRs for $150-200. And I'm not talking about Nikon F5s and Leicaflexes. I'm talking about Canon AE-1s, Minolta X-370s, and similar, stuff that's worth about $10 nowadays.

15. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    That is what I was referring to actually. I guess I was unclear. Though you do see it on both w/buy it now.

16. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Although ebay isn't perfect it is still the best place to sell on the internet. Craigslist is great for large things such as cars but not for smaller items. For every person who would see a listing on the local craigslist there would be a thousand fold more on ebay{maybe a million more}. Forums are great but I personally have had no luck selling on this or any other forum. I don't mind paying some fees to sell. Sure some buyers are jerks but that can be true of selling anyplace.

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Selling on ebay is my last resort, after I've tried Craigslist and multiple online sites. But yes, the fees are outrageous. I don't do offer free shipping on ebay, though.

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There's actually a legitimate reason for this. Before ebay started charging the fee on shipping, sellers figured out they could sell an item for 99 cents with $20 shipping and pay nearly nothing in fees.

19. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I sell a LOT of stuff on eBay. A lot of it is because I can't find the individual buyers locally for an item. 10 % doesn't bother me in the least. When they started collecting 10% on the SHIPPING fees I charge, I really effing went ballistic.

I sell LPs. An album costs 20 to ship to Japan. So I buy a dedicated record mailer cartons and padded inserts, shipping labels for my printer, packing tape, ink cartridges and then eBay (who does nothing to help me actually SHIP the record decides to that they are entitled to 10% of that fee?! So I charge $20 to ship an LP halfway around the world, they give me $18 and I lose another $1 in supplies. It almost doesn't pay sometimes.

Seriously.... in addition to the regular fee and the Paypal cut (which eBay gets since they bought Paypal a couple years ago) you're gonna take another 10% of my shipping me?

Eff You eBay! I charge what is costs (or buyers freak out and go somewhere else...and they still complain about the costs of shipping) to ship. So on every record I lose $2....on a $100 record it is no big deal, but on a $10 record for them to take $2 off the profit (after they have already taken their cut is pure criminal).

If I could find a way to reach as wide an audience as I do, I would switch in a heartbeat. Even if it would end up being more money, I would prefer they charge based on the services they provide. They help me reach the audience......charge me a fee up front to list it, when it sells, take a fair percentage. When someone pays me money to ship the time, I want all of that. PERIOD.

20. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I sell a lot (for a side business) on both eBay and amazon. The fees for photography equipment-lenses and camera bodies--are about the same. It's easier to list on amazon but you really have to watch them over-charging on commissions (15% on several items compared the standard 8%).

Using amazon and eBay is often better/easier than on mu-43.com or craigslist for a couple of reasons.
    -The sales process is easier and there's decent protection, which I have used.
    When I'm selling something, I represent the condition as accurately as possible and I set a price. On craigslist, scammers and low-ballers abound--it's just a PITA. On camera boards like here or FM, too many people want to know the life story of the item...why are you selling, etc...It slows the process down.
    -Sales price tend to be higher, which makes up for the commissions

Selling in volume is much easier on good sites with lots of buyer eyeballs and my time is at a premium with family and full time work. I find it's well worth the $$ I spend on sales commissions ($15k in amazon and ebay fees this year so far).

• Like Like x 1